• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

79 CB750 - Starting issues, carburettor?

Pods.
I’ve seen guys tape off 2/3 of the pods filter area to get them to work.

Clean the jets till yer blue in the face.

Unless you get the gunk/varnish/crap out of the very small passages that from the idle screw you are wasting your time.
A guitar string to act as a snake, acetone squirted thru a small tube from a squirt bottle, along with 100 psi, not 40, not 50,
Put the air box on.
Leave the filter out.
Spray starting fluid in the box for about 4 seconds.
If it lights up, it ain’t the carbs.
I have to disagree with the last part. If the bike fires with that spray in the aorbox, then you've proven that fluid can go through the carb body into the combustion chamber. That doesn't mean fuel from the bowl can freely move up the jets and out the carb into the combustion chamber.

I have to disagree with the last part. If the bike fires with that spray in the aorbox, then you've proven that fluid can go through the carb body into the combustion chamber. That doesn't mean fuel from the bowl can freely move up the jets and out the carb into the combustion chamber.

Dah yea my bad Brett.
It lights off with starting fluid it is the carbs,
clogged fuel, son of satan petcock, a fuel issue.

Thanks guy.

I wouldn't do it just because of the paint, carb cleaner either. I watched my paint washing away on an engine a long, long time ago. It was a horrifying sight.

Paint out of a rattle can maybe.

On the other hand, it’s great cleaning grease and gum.
Dries instantly, cuts most anything, leaving little or no film.

And helps starting a motor sometimes too.

I wouldn't do it just because of the paint, carb cleaner either. I watched my paint washing away on an engine a long, long time ago. It was a horrifying sight.

Paint out of a rattle can maybe.

On the other hand, it’s great cleaning grease and gum.
Dries instantly, cuts most anything, leaving little or no film.

And helps starting a motor sometimes too.
No rattle can. This was an RD350 engine, no rattle can. It was PERFECT paint.

You mixed the hardener with paint before you shot the motor?

One of the worst things out there. People that don't know what they are doing use it. I cringe when I see or here people suggesting to others to use it. Stupid idea, it really is.

I don’t agree.
It’s a tool.
Like any other.

You can cut your finger off slicing up Thanksgiving dinner if you don’t use a knife with care.

Now, spraying a set of carbs while cranking the engine until the fluid runs down the cases long enough to drain the battery,
that’s cringeworthy.

IMG_8914.jpeg
IMG_8913.jpeg

I’m back!

Found some clamps that are pretty close to the oem band clamps, couldn’t find the oem band clamps for less than $200 posted which is outrageous.

The airbox was a fucking punish to get in and connected, I had a to rearrange all my wiring to fit it in 🫠

The bike starts and runs, but it only idles, and that’s with full throttle, I took the carbs off and the boots were drenched in fuel, so I’m not sure where to go from here.

I even checked to see if I’d accidentally put the main and secondary jets around the wrong way.

Back