• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1983 Custom

yoyotink

CB750 New member
Reaction score
After checking the Valve clearance and replacing valve cover gasket on my 83 CB1000 Custom, the bike started smoking excessively. The engine design is basically the same as the CB750 custom so I'm hoping someone can give me a clue as to what would cause this.

I'm not sure why it would smoke. Maybe you should backtrack what you have done, check the shim to camshaft clearance again. Did the shims "snap" into the buckets when you installed them? Did you use a manual to position the camshaft in the right orientation to check clearances and remove/insert shims?

It could smoke from sitting and not running, which would be normal. For a while at least. What color is the smoke? Where is it coming from? Does it smell like something other than exhaust?
Need the info to help ya

I'm not sure why it would smoke. Maybe you should backtrack what you have done, check the shim to camshaft clearance again. Did the shims "snap" into the buckets when you installed them? Did you use a manual to position the camshaft in the right orientation to check clearances and remove/insert shims?
Thank you for replying to my question. I did follow the manual to get the correct position to check the clearance for each valve. The Clarence was within specs so I didn't really have to change any shims. I didn't put a new valve cover gasket and that's about it. I did notice that the oil in the valleys of the head seem to puddle as though there's a drain hole plugged. Do you know if that's normal?

It could smoke from sitting and not running, which would be normal. For a while at least. What color is the smoke? Where is it coming from? Does it smell like something other than exhaust?
Need the info to help ya
Thank you for your reply. The smoke, which is white smoke, comes out of the number one cylinder mostly and it starts after it's been running for a couple of minutes. Normally I would suspect bad stem seals on the Intake valves or maybe the rings but the compression is OK in all 4 cyl.

maybe the rings but the compression is OK in all 4 cyl.
The compression rings can be fine and you will have lots of compression but the oil rings could be bad allowing oil to pass. I'm not saying that is your problem. So this started after you had the valve cover off? What do the plugs look like? Have you taken the bike out for a ride to see if it clears up? You didn't just wash the bike and get water in that pipe? It would take a few minutes running before it would start to burn the water off, giving you steam.

I will ask again, Did you ride it to see if it clears up? Was it doing this after you had the valve cover off? What do the plugs look like? Also while I'm asking questions, how long have you had this bike?

It can take some time to blow out white smoke from sitting. Let it run. Burning oil is usually (always, as far as I know) blue. I honestly don't know if a little oil being burned would appear white; I doubt it.
Loose Chain asked a good question, what does the number 1 plug look like?

Back