• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

To restore or to customize

Jozzy10

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am new here but I have been following along for a little while now. I have been debating whether to completely restore my 1976 cb750 or to just customize it into a cafe looking bike. Not sure I am going to keep this one so it would be more for resale. So i guess my question is which route would make a decent return on my money? I am not really doing it for the money but rather just turn learn about motorcycles but would prefer not to lose a lot on my investment. Thanks all!

All depends on the condition of the bike you are starting with.
If there are parts missing/damaged, or someone already started to customize it, then customize it. Keep in mind garage built customs hardly ever make their money back.
A full restore might actually take value away, i.e. an original paint with minor imperfections is worth a lot more than a fresh professional paint job.
If it's in decent shape you might be best off just freshening it up and taking care of any issues.
If it were a later model I'd say do what ever you want, but given 76, it's probably worth more stock.

If you are looking for a return on the money I think Grepper's third suggestion is best. Detail clean, polish, and touch-up paint everything you can. Old toothbrushes and Q-tips get at the tight spots. Get the carbs, cam chain, and valve lash all adjusted right. Sort out any electrical issues and sell it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I wish I could do the third option but it is in bad shape. Since grepper said customs don't make their money back and I don't plan to keep this one, I may just do a have decent restoration on it. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 136
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 125
With how rough that thing is I would part it out, especially if you dont have the rest of the bike. That motor is going to take a lot of time and money to get to looking decent with that amount of corrosion.

Yee Doggies, Got to agree with Dirtdigger on that, Find one that is in better condition and donor the parts You need and sell the rest.

as for what to do it depends on whether you have the most important part. a clean n clear title that matches the vin numbers on the neck. if you do sandblasting,wirebrushing and rattlebombing will suffice for the chassis and motors are available. it all depends on how much you want it and willing to do the work.

myself i would pull the motor and electrics to put on the shelf for parts and depending on the title, that would guide as to what to do with the rest of it.

losttravlyr, I have the title and it matches the neck so any tips or ides of what you would do would be great. I have time to do whatever to it. In no rush to really get rid of it just dont plan on keeping it when done.

Back