• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New to custom builds

Builder1988

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to custom builds so thought I’d join a forum for help when I get stuck because I know I fucking will 😂 Iv got a cb750 f2 1997 and someone’s had a good go at turning it into a cafe racer but the finish is shoddy, so I’m going to go right back to the frame and build her up again with my own stamp on her. What is the crack with forums? Can I just post a question and people will try and answer it on here? Thanks 👍🏻

Thanks jpdevol! Ok so I am going to strip her down this week and I want to start sourcing the forks, whoever has done this before has notched out the top yolk so there is more scope to turn the bars! As far as I can see the tank is original so these forks must not be, am I right saying that? The offset on the yolks look to be 45mm so I’m a little confused as to why and how? (The turning circle is still shit even with these notched out) Which leads me onto a second question.. I see the gsxr forks are quite a common conversion, has anyone done this before? if not is there a simpler fork that fits the CBs that I can look into? Thanks guys 👍🏻

Attachments

• 6711E015-599D-4A07-AF86-5A86B374F8E5.jpeg
    6711E015-599D-4A07-AF86-5A86B374F8E5.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 65
Arh yes I came across these guys lastnight funnily enough! They do a stem that presses out don’t they? an USD fork would look amazing and an old set of gsxr forks aren’t that expensive sort of £300 which I thought was fair. although from your knowledge would I run into problems further down the line like wheel size, having to purchase new callipers, discs, axles the whole shebang in order for these to work pal?

I did use calipers for the USD forks and laced a conversion hub from Cognito to a 17" rim
20230106_171841.jpg

that’s going to look really smart once your done 👌🏻 Il drop an email to cognito then thanks. Oh another question sorry to be a pain! Iv got everything off her now and I’m just left with the loom front to back I have labelled everything whilst taking items off, do I just remove this in a oner and put it aside, the parts/components I am going to put back on are going to all need to be rewired again plus this loom has had work done to it before there’s a lot that is just taped up and been hidden. In my head it is easier for an auto electrician to start again from front to back with new once it’s rolling again? Am I naive saying this? Is the common thing to get rid of everything or to keep as much as the original wiring as possible? Thanks again

I mount all the new electrical components in their new location and wire it from scratch. Then take it all back apart for finishing
https://www.cb750.com/threads/resto-mod-f1-build-kinda-cafe-kinda-superbike-style.7970/page-2
Aside from the age and previous alterations of original harnesses, even a new aftermarket harness is going to need modification if you're using different components and possibly locating them in different spots - ya end up with various issues.

Your a man of wisdom jp Thankyou! I will keep everything to one side and I will leave that to someone with proper knowledge I wouldn’t even know where to start with electrics but thanks for confirming that pal 👍🏻

Back