• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Restoration Advice Please

ForeverTwoWheels

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm almost done with a frame off restoration of a 1975 CB750K5. It's been a really cool winter project. I plan on riding it for the summer and probably selling it in the fall to start another project. I'll make a whole rebuild thread later, but for now I need some advise/opinions on a couple things.

- How important is it to you that the bike is original? Paint, controls, etc. (not perishables like tires obviously)​
- Would you prefer it to have NOS, new OEM, or original parts but from a different bike?​
- For a 48yr old motorcycle, doing a frame up restoration, would you prefer a little petina (seat chrome peel, small chain guard scratches, surface rust on inside of fender. Think small details that show its age if you look closely)​
- How important is mileage to you if the entire bike has been refurbished? (Every nut, washer, bearing, or bolt either refurbished, replaced, or inspected.)​
- How detailed do you look if you were purchasing? Would you notice if the swingarm bolt was facing the wrong way? What if the throttle cables went through the gauge cluster? (Assume everything works perfectly. These are just examples of details I've noticed on other bikes)​
- Does color make a difference to you? 75' only came in two colors, would you pay more for one color over another?​
- How important would it be to you to know that the things you can't see have been touched and restored properly by a Honda certified mechanic?​

I guess that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm asking for opinions, and I know you guys have plenty, so let's hear them!!!!

Thanks in advance!

- Lance

I do look closely for original assembly: cable, wire routing, correct fastener, etc.
NOS is always preferable to reproduction, but I value "as new" finishes vs petina. So correct repaint, good chrome, gauge faces not faded.....
IMO mileage is unimportant if properly refurbished

Opinions, tastes vary of course
20220713_210649.jpg

Good info. Thank you for your feedback! I'm debating in my head if it's better to keep the original parts that have very minor issues and just refurbish them the best I can, or purchase re-manufactured parts. For example, the chrome trim around the seat has worn off in spots but the original seat cover is in excellent shape. I was able to replace the chrome vinyl using 3M vehicle wrap in order to keep the original seat cover, but I'm wondering if it would be better just to get a reproduction cover for it.
Same with the chain guard. The original owner modified it to the chrome one from the super sport. It looks great but there are tiny scratches in the chrome behind the rear shock. You can't see them unless you get down and look for them, but I know they are there and it bothers me. Leave it, replace it, or get an original black one?
You don't have to answer these, just typing out loud :) Thanks again!

Beautiful bike too!

I agree it's a tough call on some of the stuff. I do my bikes to please me, and I do ride them, so I don't fret much about resale or show judges.

The bike pictured above, I got lucky in that most of the major parts; motor castings, HM300 exhaust, carbs, etc. were in excellent shape and original. The seat cover happens to be a reproduction from Thailand - as they don't care about trademark infringement - but, the trim is original. I repainted the bike (faded bad) with reproduction decals and original color matched paint from VMR. The front fender is new from David Silver Spares but came in the original Honda packaging. The rubber pieces, switches and cables a mix of NOS and reproduction. If it needed a part, I'd try to source NOS, if unavailable I'd order a reproduction and use it if the quality was decent; if not, I'd try to refinish the original

Enjoy....

That's pretty much been my philosophy as well. Good to know others think about this stuff and I'm not losing my mind when trying to find the correct kickstand and center stand bumpers! haha
Mine was all original and in great shape, but once I started putting some TLC into it I couldn't stop. You can't have a refurbished swingarm next to a faded frame right?? Anyways here are some pics. (keep in mind I'm still working on it. I know the throttle cable isn't routed correctly, etc.)

These first two are when I bought it. Pretty much everything is original.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

That sir is a beauty!

Yeah it "snowballs"; improve one thing, now ya gotta do the other thing.....

Time well spent and work to take pride in

Two questions:
1. How important would it be for me to source an owners manual? I have the original tool kit, but not the manual.
2. Was the chrome trim on the original seat cover sewn into the cover its self? It doesn't have studs, so I'm wondering if I can replace just the chrome without doing an entire aftermarket seat cover. (It's a 1975 K5).

TYIA!!

I'm almost done with a frame off restoration of a 1975 CB750K5. It's been a really cool winter project. I plan on riding it for the summer and probably selling it in the fall to start another project. I'll make a whole rebuild thread later, but for now I need some advise/opinions on a couple things.

- How important is it to you that the bike is original? Paint, controls, etc. (not perishables like tires obviously)​
- Would you prefer it to have NOS, new OEM, or original parts but from a different bike?​
- For a 48yr old motorcycle, doing a frame up restoration, would you prefer a little petina (seat chrome peel, small chain guard scratches, surface rust on inside of fender. Think small details that show its age if you look closely)​
- How important is mileage to you if the entire bike has been refurbished? (Every nut, washer, bearing, or bolt either refurbished, replaced, or inspected.)​
- How detailed do you look if you were purchasing? Would you notice if the swingarm bolt was facing the wrong way? What if the throttle cables went through the gauge cluster? (Assume everything works perfectly. These are just examples of details I've noticed on other bikes)​
- Does color make a difference to you? 75' only came in two colors, would you pay more for one color over another?​
- How important would it be to you to know that the things you can't see have been touched and restored properly by a Honda certified mechanic?​

I guess that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm asking for opinions, and I know you guys have plenty, so let's hear them!!!!

Thanks in advance!

- Lance
Yo, here is my .02¢ worth.

First off a frame off restoration is a daunting task in itself.

My philosophy is what are going to do with the bike, show , sell , enjoy or donate to a charity.

Concours d'Elegance is a highly regarded competition where true to form must be exact.

To sell must be a grade that is a good standard.
Safety, functional working parts and a enjoyable experience from the buyer is key to a job well done. Here is where I like to see patina, it tells a story about the bike.

If your going to enjoy the bike yourself, well that's up to you to decide the level of excellence your willing to do.

Charity builds are usually a representation of the builder and his or her skill set. What they want the public to see. Charity builds are also used to generate revenue for the Charity.
So it better be good enough for the Charity to succeed.

Eather way building is a "PASSION" of your hands & mind.

WhiteWidow
Enjoy the ongoing riding season...

BTW... That is a "MAGNIFICENT"
750 Four

Attachments

• imageedit_2_2735640479.gif
    imageedit_2_2735640479.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • imageedit_1_9444348632~2.png
    imageedit_1_9444348632~2.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words and the feedback! It's greatly appreciated!!

I'm going to ride it a little bit this summer, hopefully take it to Barber's for the vintage festival, and then sell it so I can start a new project!!

It is a labor of love that I truly enjoy. I'm almost sad that this one is coming to an end, but I think my wife has a different opinion. hahahaha

I'm stuck on this one last question.

Carb dust caps. Mine were really rotted. I tried to save them, but while I was syncing the carbs they finally bit the bullet.

I think it looks better without them, but a potential buyer and/or the general public may have a different opinion.

Thoughts?

I'm picking up my left side cover this week that had some touch up paint work on it, and then the bike is DONE!! After I get it I'll post some pics of the final result.

Again, thank you guys for your feedback. It truly is helpful.

(the purpose of the build is to ride it, show it off, and sell it for top dollar if that helps)

Back