Engine case replacement.

Just ordered screws from Honda. Can't wait to get this build finished! Since I have to do a bunch of hurry up and wait for parts I decided to paint the engine and some covers.

Glad it is working out for you now. Those four screws can be a pain in the butt sometimes. If you got any questions going back together dont be afraid to ask.

I got the cases apart finally! I ended up taking pistons off to remove top of the case. The patch job that was attempted ended up being terrible and I am very glad I am replacing case. I started to move over the crankshaft, clutch and transmission. Transmission gave me grief so I am going to tackle tomorrow. More pics soon.

Was hoping you didnt have to mess with it. I honestly never take the kickstart apart unless something is wring with it. I assume you are referring to the roll pin that holds the shaft in. It should be sticking up above the case enough to grab on to it with a vice grip or a strong enough pliers. Try to pinch the roll pin together while pulling it out of the case. You have to be very carefull working on the kickstart because of the spring that is under tension. Lot of places to smack you fingers and get pinched. If the case is junk you can break the case pretty easy back by the pin because it did happen once in a while. I assume your new case didn't come with any of the kickstart parts in it?

Well folks, I cracked the new case. I am very disappointed. I followed the sequence and on one of the turns... Pop! Back to the drawing board. Anyone have a lower case??? Ha

I hand tightened all of the upper and lower case bolts then started to tighten the upper bolts little by little and snapped part of the lower case near the gearshift bearing. When I get done at bar ill post a picture.

Sounds like something wasn't seated and holding the case apart. Will take a look at the pictures before further speculation though.

Notice the case near the drive chain sprocket. That was the reason for replacement.

IMG_7853.jpgIMG_7854.jpgIMG_7855.jpgIMG_7857.jpgIMG_7858.jpgIMG_7859.jpgIMG_7861.jpgIMG_7863.jpg

To remove nasty stuck screws I heated them up and hammered in a 3/8's drive type allen wrench. Bam.

Last photo should be new case that I cracked.

The last photo looks to me like the half circle bearing retaining clip was not in the groove. The groove is in the top half of the case but not the bottom half. It almost looks like the clip is in the wrong case half and when you bolted it down it had to go somewhere so it broke the case. Little hard to see fro the picture though. By the way in case you didn't know...you have to replace the cases as a set not just a bottom or a top. The bores for the bearings are machined after the cases are mated together therefor no two are the same.

Thanks for your help dirtdigger. Do you know where I can find another case or even better a whole engine for my k8? I have been looking online and have only found one engine for $650 and it doesn't look good and only find cases for cb750A's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRANKCASES-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e7c7614b&vxp=mtr

This set on ebay right now. I check ebay daily for 750 stuff just to see what is out there, I have scored some pretty good deals once in a while. I spend a half an hour this morning comparing part numbers for the cases and 77 and 78K motors share the same part number, so for sure those to years are identical for your needs. Not 100% sure what the differences are between these and the earlier cases because I stick with all the earlier stuff because it is more consistent and swapable.

With that case it looks like it is terrible shape outside. Is this something I can sand blast? I spent hours cleaning the case I bought with simple green and wire brushes and don't really want to do that again and it was in good shape. Also When I redo it the bible/manual is not very clear on the half moon "gaskets" metal sleeve inserts on where they go or how many there are. Any insight on this? When I took apart old case it seemed there was maybe one per location and not two. Is this correct? I ended up trying to complete the circle with two per and that may have been my problem.

I got the kick starter in relatively easy. I set everything in place in lower block, then knew spring had to be tensioned so I grabbed the actual kick lever and put that in place, then while holding spring in place (sort of) I had to tilt it a bit in order to get longer spring clip to loop around once, then used kick starter foot lever to spin it around creating tension until it fell into place. I checked to make sure it was in properly by using lever and cranking it and I got the "bell" sound. It was so gratifying. Then I replaced the holding pin that was a bitch to get out so I waited until last second to put back it. It took a drill and vise grips to get it out of old case.

You most certainly can have it cleaned. I would soda blast or some other media besides sand because sand can be very hard to get out of oil passages. Either way you need to clean very well to make sure you get all the media out. Each bearing only gets one half moon locator because it has to fit in the groove in the case and in the bearing. There is only a groove in one side of the case for each bearing. Putting two in makes no room for it in one side of the case and you saw the result.

I bought the new case and it is in the mail. Just waiting on it. Tonight I am prepping my garage for its arrival.

New engine case is here.

There may be a problem with it though. Can someone help me out and let me know if I can proceed on the rebuild? I put a close up picture of one of the journals and it is chipped. I don't want to put this one all together for problems to happen down the road. Thanks everyone!

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Are you talking about the small chips on the corners? As long as there are no cracks coming off of the chips they look ok to me. I would take some fine sand paper and round off the sharp edges of the chips and make sure there are no high spots around the chips. If there are just sand them down slightly.

I think the same thing. I am sure you now see that some of the bearing bores have a half clip groove, and others don't, take your time and be sure. and the case should drop all the way on and flat first. verify it goes down easy and all the way, pull it back off, and then add your sealer

Rebuilding the case photos

IMG_8059.jpgIMG_8062.jpgIMG_8063.jpgIMG_8060.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8061.jpg
    IMG_8061.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8064.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_8065.jpg
    IMG_8065.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 146