• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch Issues

Clark204

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m new to the forum and was hoping for some help. I recently purchased a ‘75 CB750 that had been in storage for some time. I got it running and rode it last year with no issues. I decided due to the year of the bike that I should probably update a few items, one of which being the clutch.

I purchased an NHC friction plate kit as well as a new clutch cable. I replaced everything carefully and made sure to soak the new plates in oil. Once replaced and fired up, I noticed that the bike now acts like it is in neutral even after put in gear. I have tried rolling the bike forward and backwards and nothing changed. I also have adjusted the clutch cable and lifter adjustment screw per Clymer specs as well.

My thought was that the springs for the clutch are worn out and need replaced. Do you think that could be the case?

No.

I'm guessing you have turned the lifter rod in too far. Start by loosening everything again and start with the lifter rod. Instructions read something like "turn the lifter rod in until contact is felt and back off a 1/4 turn". It is very easy to miss the "feel" of first contact with the lifter plate and keep on turning, especially since there is very little effort required to do so. If you turn past the point of first contact and keep on turning you are effectively disengaging the clutch and no amount of cable adjustment will overcome that. Back off the lifter rod and get the smallest screwdriver you have to turn the lifter rod in slowly, carefully feeling for "first contact".

There is the possibility that the "ramp" inside the clutch cover (the round piece inside the cover with the three balls) is out of phase and not sitting in the grooves for the balls. This is less likely but is a possibility and would cause the same issue. I would recheck the lifter rod adjustment first.

EZPZ :cool:

Update:
I have loosened the lifter rod and began slowly tightening it until I felt a bit of resistance and backed it off 1/4 turn. I put the bike in 1st and again it is still acting as if it is in neutral.

I removed the clutch cover and noticed that when put in gear, the basket itself will spin when the bike is being rolled, and when it neutral the basket does not spin when the bike is rolled.

I have also checked inside the left side cover to ensure that the shift lever is moving everything properly and it seems to be.

Take apart what you changed and take a good look, something isnt assembled right.

Back