• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Yet another purchasing advice question

thelostone

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new into the scene but really want to break into it and find the CB750 sexy as all hell so I've settled on finding one and making her my first.

Here is this craigslist ad that I've found, I like the look of the bike but honestly do not know if what he's asking is worth it. I have no fear in having to work on a bike and learning the ins and outs or rebuilding it. I would actually cherish the experience in doing so.

i have for sale a 1975 honda cb750. i have had it a little over a year now, it has quite a few upgrades. the previous owner rebuilt the carbs, jetted, cone filters. they put a cafe style seat on it, modern rear sets, a new chain and sprocket, cafe style headlights and new gauges.

i ahve a list of all the items they bought for it from the shop they came from. since i have had it i have put some clip on bars, new grips and throttle tube. ive ridden it a few times since i bout it but quickly realised i dont thave the time or interest in it like i expected. i tried to start it up about 2 months ago and it had no electrics and wouldnt start.

i realized after looking over the wiring that the previous owner apparently bypassed the fuse box to get it to run, but oviously that wasnt the way to fix it. i ordered a brand new wiring harness for it that is still in the box that will replace ever wire on the bike, but like i said before, my time and interest have gone down hill. i have no doubt this could be changed out in a couple hours if someone had some motivation to just swap out the harnesses. the new harness has a new fuse box with it as well.

the bike will also come with a brand new set of tires (uninstalled) and an extra set of handlebars, and the stock seat as well.

i have a photocopy and all info of the title, but never got the bike put it in my name. you can easily get a bonded title for the bike too, in texas it isnt a hassel.

feel free to ask me any questions -- i respond to text much faster. this bike does run if you can swap the wiring and will be a great bike for someone who wants a cool vintage bike. i just want it to go to someone who will actually enjoy it.

any other things you would like to know, please text or email me and i will let you know anything i can.​

00y0y_j0ZzIrg2Goo_1200x900.jpg
00T0T_8RTvhRD8koZ_1200x900.jpg
00L0L_8kQGDjwdj8E_1200x900.jpg
00y0y_962GDJs1A0K_1200x900.jpg

He's asking for 2000, I'm worried about not being able to start it and not knowing if there's anything else besides the wiring and also I'm a little worried about the title situation.

Major project. With the wiring harness hacked up with a new harness "in the box", not to mention the questionable status of the title, non-runner, and who knows how many undocumented modifications, I would not pay more than $300 for anything without a clean and clear title. Yeah, it can be done, but not worth my hassle. If it's so easy, then the seller should do the paperwork first.

True basket case in my opinion. For $2000 it better run and have a clear title.

Trying to weave a new harness onto the bike, without having an unmolested original harness to use as a guide, can turn into a fool's errand for anybody without experience, depending upon the level of chopping done to the original harness. To install the new harness you would want experienced guidance. I could do it in my sleep, but I've had my CB750 since 1986...

Understood, I'll keep searching then, thanks for the quick response. I've done a quick search but did not come up with any "What to look for" threads when purchasing. Is there any major things that I should keep an eye out for?

If you see a bunch of these:

f1eUH7QtxNbrpRvwwexNINwGbrjfntc6NaFS1=w600-h402-no.jpg

Run away... run far, far away. These "dime store" connectors are a dead giveaway for a true hack job.

Double crimp, open barrel connectors are the correct way to repair or modify a harness IMHO. The open barrel double crimp connectors are considered "gas tight" making them highly resistant to corrosion at the crimp. This is a how-to for the proper connectors copied from my post in another thread:

Strip it. I usually strip about a 1/4" to 5/16". Three-eights is a bit much and not necessary:

001-VC.jpg

002-VC.jpg

Don't forget the insulator! (ask me how I know):

003-VC.jpg

I finally figured out (after about three tries) that it's easier to load the connector in the crimp tool first. Note the stepped jaw. The trailing end has a higher relief so as not to over crimp the insulation:

004-VC.jpg

Ratchet down on it just enough to hold it:

005-VC.jpg

006-VC.jpg

You only need about a 1/4" of insulation extended into the connector. Too much and you get into the part of the crimp that should be catching wire only. The jaws are pretty wide and hard to see inside, so I use my thumbnail as a guide when inserting the wire:

007-VC.jpg

008-VC.jpg

Crimp it!:

009-VC.jpg

Viola':

010-VC.jpg

And finally, the insulator:

011-VC.jpg

Procedure is the same for other types of connectors, just be sure to use the right insulator. Here we have the insulator for the female bullet:

012-VC.jpg

Load the tool:

013-VC.jpg

Crimp it... crimp it real good... and viola'!:

014-VC.jpg

Slide the insulator into place:

015-VC.jpg

Dang! This is how they must of looked when the bike was new!:

016-VC.jpg

Give the wire a tug when you're done. Occasionally I will get a loose crimp, but most of the time it is a result of smaller gauge wire. In those cases I will strip 1/2" of insulation and double the wire back on itself to mimic a heavier gauge wire. These are my go-to connectors for all things automotive. 8)

Dunno where we get that titles are easy to get in Texas...............they are making it as hard as they can even if you are the original owner to get even a replacement title by demanding now that you re-verify that the original lien when bought has been satisfied. Utterly ridiculous. Half the companies no longer exist.

Their new way to reduce the backlog of electronic data they have to keep in the state system. They've wiped any previous record to make you re-establish it.

I don't touch ANY bike with no clean title to it in current owners' name. BIG mistake.

sucks they make it that hard to get title work done, in SD we can just fill out for transfer, new or replacement title, give em some money and week later it shows up in the mail. Not too much of an issue for lost or missing titles here but thats the govt for you...no consistency

I could get the title for $5.75 and instantly a couple years ago, no more. They print them right on the spot. Still that fast if you satisfy that lien release requirement, thinking it could be a new 'quick way' to be sure no stolen vehicle there.

Back