• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Stuck cylinders dohc

Newellsarcsandsparks

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum. I have a current project which is a 1980 cb 750. When I drained the oil after purchasing the bike more water came out than oil. After seeing that I decided to do a full motor rebuild. I know how and why water had gotten into the engine and that problem has been resolved. After much work and penetrating oil I've managed to be able to turn the motor over with a wrench. Now I'm completely stuck. The cylinder head is solid. I've removed all of the bolts and head studs and nothing. I've applied heat tapped all around with a dense plastic hammer. I've practically done everything but slam it on the ground in a blind rage or Jerry rig some kind of a puller. Any advise from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

The dowel pins aligning the head to the cylinder are more then likely rusted as well as rust in the cylinder stud holes, you will have to get some rust penatrant and spray around in all the cylinder stud holes. Letting the penetrant work and doing some carefull prying between the two is about all you can do. Its going to take time, alternating between spraying, letting it set, moving it to help work it free. Time and patience. Im also going to move this post to the dohc section of the forum.

As per Dirtdigger. Then Use a heavy RUBBER hammer and a length of timber, tap from under the head, working around the head. These heads and cylinder blocks can be the devil to get off, believe me I know! Prying is the last resort. Damage to gasket faces.

Back