• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Old fart bein' a noob...

Qaxe

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I've only lost ONE PART today!
Yeah, that's not a cool sentence. But in all the times I've taken off float bowls, jets, and cleaned them, I've never once found a spring. Um wait... let me rephrase that. I mean I never knew they were there. So either...

1.) I friggin' lost all 4 springs and never noticed and the bike said "Meh. We didn't need those anyway."
2.) the springs never feel out because they were stuck in place.
3.) I never actually went that deep.
4.) I did notice them, put them back where they go, and everything was fine, but I'm too old to recall now.
5.) MMmm... honey!

I think that the answer is clearly #4. Thank God these springs came with the rebuild kit. Seriously though, I thought we didn't get senile until later? I'm only 54 dammit!

My carb rebuild kit didn't come with replacement O-rings, and I'm sad. Sad is a nice word for "absent minded". I think I'm down to just the carby bodies, and don't "think" there's any rubber left, but just in case.... I had a look at the Berryman's website to see if this Chem-Dip will EAT any rubber bits that don't get removed before I go dippin'. This is from Berryman's website:

"The (other) CHEM-DIP product from Berryman is intended for general consumer use and comes in 1-gallon paint cans. It is safe on for use on plastic, rubber, and most paints."

Seems like I'm okay. Honestly, it's debateable whether *I'm* okay, but you get my drift. So, goal for today, keep working on this like I were riding: eyes open, brain focused, and no more dropping springs in the &Y*&@% workshop.

I vote for option 2.

In my option, that carb dip does affect rubber and usually makes it swell slightly and soften. Perhaps back to the original shape? A mechanic friend told me years ago he like it because of what it does to rubber o-rings and seals.

If that is the case, can you add the chem-dip to your fuel like you can the fuel cleaner?

I found the spring. It was #2.
One of the guys on here mentioned the other day that he adds Berryman's to his tank on occasion, but clarified that it was Berryman's fuel additive, not the Chem-dip. :)

The Berryman's wasn't too bad on my o-rings, but once the carby-cleaner got on there, those o-rings swoll up quite a lot. Actually, I went through quite a few rubber gloves today, because that carb-cleaner is pure evil. Thankfully, I hadn't replaced the o-rings yet.

I found the spring. It was #2.
One of the guys on here mentioned the other day that he adds Berryman's to his tank on occasion, but clarified that it was Berryman's fuel additive, not the Chem-dip. :)

The Berryman's wasn't too bad on my o-rings, but once the carby-cleaner got on there, those o-rings swoll up quite a lot. Actually, I went through quite a few rubber gloves today, because that carb-cleaner is pure evil. Thankfully, I hadn't replaced the o-rings yet.
Carb cleaner is caustic stuff. I love Berrymans to clean deposits on valves, etc. Been using it for a couple years now.
May have to look at the dip stuff.

Just FYI, Berryman's Chem-dip is $40 for a gallon can at O'Reilly's. Felt a bit much, then again everything feels that way now. It's very...thick. The can comes with a plastic basket you can use to put parts in and lower them into the dip, like you're a mad motorbike scientist...

Last edited:
I don't remever how much it used to be, but I remember that it has always felt expensive. At least it lasts a long time. I do wonder how long though. I have a can from 2006. Think it'll still work? I haven't used it in years.

I don't remever how much it used to be, but I remember that it has always felt expensive. At least it lasts a long time. I do wonder how long though. I have a can from 2006. Think it'll still work? I haven't used it in years.
It will still work. I still have a couple cans from over 15 years ago when I was an auto tech. I do carbs once in a while for neighbors and friends.

Just FYI, Berryman's Chem-dip is $40 for a gallon can at O'Reilly's. Felt a bit much, then again everything feels that way now. It's very...thick. The can comes with a plastic basket you can use to put parts in and lower them into the dip, like you're a mad motorbike scientist...
I saw that. Thinking about getting one myself. Does it leave a film at all? This seems cheaper than an ultrasonic cleaner.

You wash it off in tap water after removing from the dip. I usually spray off with brake clean after then blow everything out with compressed air. I dont have any experience with sonic cleaner as this works great for me.

"You wash it off in tap water after removing from the dip." Aaaaahhh... was that in the directions that I forgot to read? (sigh) When I pulled the carb bodies out, they did feel rather slimy, but all that came off when I blasted my fuel paths with the carb cleaner. Then I wiped everything off, and put a bit of WD40 on the choke lever action.

I would love to try out a sonic cleaner, and that soda-blaster I just learned about. BUT... you know. "I'm not working on bikes anymore" so apparently I don't need things like that.

Yes its on the can of dip to wash off in water as its a caustic solution.

I've used the carb dip and have a big ultrasonic cleaner. Most of the carburetors I try to clean these days are corroded from ethanol gas and nothing can help them. I'm not as impressed with the ultrasonic cleaner as I wanted to be, but maybe because I'm expecting miracles from it.

I really need to slow down and read. Overzealousness will be my doom.
My worst mistakes have been made when tired or in a hurry. I highly recommend the measured approach to motorcycle work from personal experience.

Haven't used an ultrasonic cleaner myself but from what I have seen they don't impress me and I won't be buying one. If you're properly restoring carbs and want them to look perfect they'll have some value. But I go for function. Cans of carb cleaner, rags, plastic picks, and compressed air have always worked great for me.
Edit: I forgot the two most important tools that I had to special-order online. JIS screwdrivers and gunsmith screwdrivers. Those make carburetors a breeze.

Last edited:
I've found that ultrasonic cleaners don't make the carbs look any better, but they do a good job of cleaning internal passageways. Vapor blasting or vapor honing does wonders to make the outside look like new, but you have to be very careful to not get the media inside those small passageways.

I have my eye out for a good deal on an ultrasonic cleaner. But I would use it to get road grime off stuff or at least make it easier to use the carb cleaner and canned/compressed air.

Back