• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Good or Worthless Chemical Cleaners and Alternatives?

Qaxe

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I ain't made a' money!!! Yet I've blown shedloads of dough on part-specific chemicals, like Brake Kleen or electronic parts cleaner. Carb cleaner and metal polish are necessary, but it seems like at least some of these others could be replaced with simpler, cheaper chemicals. Just this one bike has eaten 3 cans of "Mothers*" (make that 4, I just came back from the shop). Dad used to swear that Coke or Pepsi was great for cleaning headers, but I reckon he used more elbow-grease than me. I don't believe it. Please, share your ideas. Maybe you'll save us some cash.

#1 Easy Off oven cleaner. Awesome for grimey mufflers that came off some $100 backyard special. Wear gloves and eye protection. Long sleeves wouldn't hurt. Put down some newspapers first, and don't do it over grass. lol

#2 Peanut Oil. Back-to-Black didn't do diddly squat for my gray airbox but turn it into a greasy gray airbox. Peanut oil did the trick!

- PineSol for carbs? Sounds crazy. Tried it? Not me, I spent $40 on a gallon of Berryman's Chem-Dip instead.
- Rubbing alcohol for electronics? Heard that 90% is max. strength recommended for internal parts.
- Vodka?!?! Universal Studios Japan used VODKA to clean out the heads of big mascot suits. Was cheaper than rubbing alcohol.

* Mothers: I'm talking about the chrome and aluminum polish in the can.

Last edited:
I'm not impressed with NevrDull either. Just tried some on both my chrome and my valve cover. Not even a contest between that and Mothers.

I think we're talking about different products made by the same company. I'm talking about the aluminum and chrome polish, comes in a small can, about the consistency of toothpaste or frosting.

mot.jpg

Last edited:
Did some research for cleaning carbs and went with some Project Farm's findings on grease cleaning. Bought a small bottle of LA's that I diluted with distilled water, and had good results!

@AlwaysAdar I love that channel. I just watched that video (and answered my own question above about LA's) and I might have to switch from using Purple Power to Super Clean after seeing how well it ate the grease blob.

@AlwaysAdar I love that channel. I just watched that video (and answered my own question above about LA's) and I might have to switch from using Purple Power to Super Clean after seeing how well it ate the grease blob.
I am willing to put some faith in Project Farm. When that dude does a video he usually gives me a good sense of how much I'm willing to spend for results I'll accept.

WD-40, just can't pay that price anymore. I buy the Walmart Tech equivalent for cleaning electrical, etc.

Not a chemical, but, Gator brand sandpapers are great and long lasting.

Back