• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil Tank gets Super Hot When Riding

DSlo

CB750 Member
Reaction score
A few months back I picked up at 750 and noticed the former owner set up a few things incorrectly. One being the oil hook up. The oil was set up correctly going into the engine but one of the overflow tubes was zip tied beneath the seat instead of being put into the back of the engine. I have fixed the oil hook up and now when I am riding it the oil tank gets super hot. Should the oil tank be getting that hot? If not, could it be caused by a tank pressure issue? I noticed some 750's have covers over their oil tanks, is that standard?

Thanks in advance for your help!

How hot is hot...need to be more specific. Yes the tank will get hot to took after riding. Anything that makes the motor itself run hot will make the oil hot...timing off, running lean, extended idling,city riding, wrong oil weight, hot outside temps, etc. Yes side covers are standard.

Hot enough that through pants its burning my leg and hot touch through leather gloves. I do mostly city riding, have the ideal little higher then normal and running 20 x 50 oil. That is the oil that was recommended by the former owner. Based on what you are describing the oil tank heating up the way it is sounds normal. May have to look into getting a cover for it. Thanks for your reply.

You can always check the oil temperature. Should be in the 170 to 225degree range up to a max of 250.

Thanks for your reply! Finally was able to check the oil heat. Oil heat after running for 25 min was at 170 and engine heat was 220- 230. So based on your last reply it sounds like the oil is the right temp unless that is hot for the engine. Looks like I will be getting a cover.

Back