• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Starting issues

Spacemilk6

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all, new to this forum. I have a 1992 750 nighthawk that I just finished working on. It started right up and ran fine for 2 days, then came the issue. Turned the key and no start. Engine would not even turn over. I did hear a "click" when I pushed the start button but nothing happened. I tried a few more times but no luck. I tapped the starter with my knuckle and noticed it was extremely hot! I also noticed the starter was slightly loose. I think in my haste putting the bike back together I forgot to double check that all bolts were snug. So I let it cool down, tightened down the starter mounting bolts properly and gave it another shot. No luck. Heard the click but did not crank the engine. I gave it a couple taps with a wrench but nothing happened. Starter is now extremely hot again and battery almost dead. I do have another nighthawk 750 same year, in excellent condition so took that starter and put it on the problem bike along with a new battery... same outcome, no start and I think that starter now might be shot as well. So I took the starter off and took some pics of inside where the starter goes. This first pic is from the problem bike. Looks chewed up in there. The second pic is from my good bike.

So what did I manage to f up by driving the bike with a starter that wasn't properly tightened down? What is that that looks chewed up in there? Is it relatively easy to fix? All help is appreciated. Thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_134537.jpg
    IMG_20221029_134537.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20221029_134541.jpg
    IMG_20221029_134541.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20221029_135635.jpg
    IMG_20221029_135635.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 89
What happened? Haha, I'm browsing threads before creating my own, "bike won't start" post... this problem sounds similar to what I'm dealing with. I'm curious!

Make sure you have a good, well charged battery.

Hondas are notorious for issues with charging, or the lack of.

Throw the battery on a charger, or just get a new one from wal mart for around60 bucks.

Running off a battery alone, with a bike not charging, takes a day or so to kill it.

Back