• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need some advice

bigiron59

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Haven’t had my project for that long (81’ 750C), inspected the engine recently, and it’s not good. Cams are banged up and way out of time, clearances are all wrong on valves and bearing caps, and it seems like the previous owner didn’t know what they were doing and stripped the threads off of FOUR bolt holes in the head. I’ve got a mint roller but no engine. Do I try and source a better condition DOHC, go for another swap, or get out. I’d like to see her run but parts are hard to come by (and expensive now) and I’d rather not risk another lie at my expense or send anything to a machine shop for a cheap old bike.

Try to source an engine would be my take. You might be able to rebuild with new cams but if they were out of timing, who knows what the valves and pistons look like inside (maybe sneak a peek with a scope). I've seen engines around me for 250 bucks.

Maybe look for a non-runner whole or partial bike. These bikes are often parked because of bad coils, dirty carburetors, alternator not charging and almost no wear on the engine. Then you could use the engine and part out the bike on e-bay to recoup part or all of the money that you bought it for. Tanks, exhaust, brakes, wheels, carb banks sell fast on ebay, in almost any condition.

My best buys have been non-runners without titles. In Michigan a title can be gotten for $100 surety bond from an insurance company and the right story at the DMV. Like, "bought the bike from a guy that promised to find the title, now I can't find the guy". If the bike was last titled in Michigan a surety bond is not needed, just need the hokey story.

Last edited:
Florida is far more restrictive. Can't get a title without a bill of sale and a current registration from the seller

Florida is far more restrictive. Can't get a title without a bill of sale and a current registration from the seller
So, you and I could both get a great deal on untitled bikes in Fla. I could get a title for $100 and you would have a parts bike for a great price. :D:D Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner!!!!!!!!

Back