• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Electrical issue

I am glad my guitar knowledge can help me with cleaning carbs as well! Of course there are two 'E' strings on any guitar - the high 'E' string ranges between 0.008" and 0.013" in diameter and low 'E' string is between 0.048" and 0.056". My assumption is the high E string would be the ideal one as it is plain steel as opposed to a wrapped low E string. Sorry dudes, probably too much info, but wanted to clarify. I also have a bad solenoid - bike starts right up with a screw driver so I am confident replacing the solenoid will take care of it. For my '74 CB750 I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311086566150
Hope it is ok - let me know. Thanks.

Ok. Here is an update. I got the starter solenoid. I plugged in the B and the M (not bowel movement either). I plugged in the wires and the main fuse was already there (30A). Hooked up the battery and pop, main fuse went...wth. I tried it again, pop....ok i take a step back. Brand new battery...brand new solenoid. The old solenoid didn't pop the fuse. I tried plugging the wire in the OTHER way (its a 2x2 plug so I was thinking it was reversible). Pop. Any more advise? Did I buy a bad solenoid? Is the B and the M switched on the solenoid and is labeled incorrectly? I could buy a honda factory..but I really don't want to spend the $100ish on it.

ANY advise would be greatly appreciated. I need to head to the store and get more 30A fuses.....I ran out.

-Joe

I suppose if it was me I'd try the other starter.

Before you do that, you could disconnect the cable from the solenoid to the starter, then press the start button to see if the solenoid shifts (listen for a click or feel it shift). If it does, that kinda says the solenoid works but the starter is pulling too many amps for the fuse.

If you have a voltmeter or test light you could check for voltage to the terminal you took the cable off of when you press the start button... that would tell you that the solenoid actually closed and the contacts let voltage through.

Before you do that, you could disconnect the cable from the solenoid to the starter, then press the start button to see if the solenoid shifts (listen for a click or feel it shift). If it does, that kinda says the solenoid works but the starter is pulling too many amps for the fuse.

If you have a voltmeter or test light you could check for voltage to the terminal you took the cable off of when you press the start button... that would tell you that the solenoid actually closed and the contacts let voltage through.

Awesome. When I have a chance I will give it a try. I have an extremely busy schedule today. Tomorrow seems more plausible.

Thanks!

I heard rom the carb cleaning guy... here's his reply:

I can do it but I will need to speak with the guy first to go over some things. My number is 651-226-4201, thanks again for thinking of me!
Baz

Ok. I got it cranking. I had the wires all switched around. I took a meter and found out which wire has the hots etc....when you hook it up corr3ctly, the main fuse stays intacted. Who would have thought. Now it cranks hard like it should. So....new gas tomorow and gonna gI've it a turn.

Thanks Tommy for all your help! I'll give that guy a call.

Joe

Well that's good to hear. As it turned out, sounds like a pretty easy fix... hind sight is great, if only we knew then what we know now.

So now that it cranks, have you even tried to start it? I mean, what the heck... it might need the carbs totally rebuilt or it might just need some sea foam run through it (not so likely, but stranger things have happened).

Well that's good to hear. As it turned out, sounds like a pretty easy fix... hind sight is great, if only we knew then what we know now.

So now that it cranks, have you even tried to start it? I mean, what the heck... it might need the carbs totally rebuilt or it might just need some sea foam run through it (not so likely, but stranger things have happened).

That will be on tomorrow's list. Today is get gas for it with some seafoam. I have to put walls up in my bAthroom. The agreement about this bike is that I can't work on it until the bathroom renovatuons are done. She works all day tomorrow so I'll have time then. ;).

Seafoam and gas is a good start, and I'm no mechanic, but I just brought a 40 y/o Honda back to life by spraying carb cleaner in the air intake and closing the choke plates. Let it soak, run, repeat. Nothing is better than an actual carb clean, but it "works". Good luck, on the walls, and the bike.

Seafoam and gas is a good start, and I'm no mechanic, but I just brought a 40 y/o Honda back to life by spraying carb cleaner in the air intake and closing the choke plates. Let it soak, run, repeat. Nothing is better than an actual carb clean, but it "works". Good luck, on the walls, and the bike.

Ok, So the bathroom walls are up (spent all weekend cutting and tailoring drywall). It's good. So, I throw in some seafoam and 89 octane gas (can't find any other that's ethenol free). Let it crank for a few seconds and started right up! I am amazed by how this Honda Started.

Right now, I can run it on choke only. I turn the choke off, it dies. That's where I am at.

I am still quite far from road ready. I have to get fork seals and change them, oil change, change brake fluid and grease all fittings. Oh yea, new rear tire too.

Anyone know what might be the issue with it running the way it does? Would I have to clean the carbs anyway?

Tommy, I will give that guy a call on the carb cleaning shortly. I haven't had a chance to get around to it.

Thanks everyone with the help!!!

-Joe

There's no count in my mind that it's running the way it is because the carbs need cleaned... question is, is there a slight chance that you might get by with running it? If you've started it and let it warm up with the choke on. and it dies when you open the choke, I'm betting the carbs need to have the jets removed and cleaned at a minimum.

I'm basically pretty well convinced that you don't want to clean the carbs yourself, but I have to tell you... it isn't hard at all, but can be frustrating when the cleaning doesn't get the job done and needs another try.

Back