• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fuses popping at solenoid

Bmb2492

CB750 Member
Reaction score
82 cb750sc Nighthawk.. I was trying to get my tail lights working and saw smoking after replacing the old round fuses. Now every time I try to hook up the battery, the fuse blows at the solenoid. All I have done is put new fuses in the fuse box and put a brake master cylinder on it. Maybe I have the wires backwards for the brake lights? Would this explain it?

The 30A main fuse is in between battery positive and the key switch, so if that fuse is popping, there is a serious dead short to ground ahead of the regular fuse box. A miswired brake/taillight should just blow one of the 10A fuses. Check for a positive wire having continuity to ground (likely red one after solenoid) if it does it with key off and black, brown or brown/white if it only does it with key on - including the key switch itself. The location of the smoke is a prime suspect

I found the issue. The old metal strip fuse on the solenoid was too rusted to actually blow. So it started melting the plug. After putting a new solenoid on and blowing a couple fuses, I realized that the plug on the harness had melted and the two red wires were touching. So I put a new clip on it and problem solved!!!

Back