• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wires crossed?? Bike died twice

Mart21har

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I bought a basket case DOHC CB750K from 1979

It died on me in the middle of the road after warming up. (45 minutes into the ride bringing it home) lights flickering and everything.

I replaced the regulator and new battery. Bike ran for 45 minutes. Then I turned it off. Then rode for 5 minutes and died in the middle of the road. Lights flickering on the way out.

I remembered having to wiggle the starter solenoid to get the lights to turn on on the bike.

That time it died after 5 minutes. Lights flickering on the way out. After- no power at the key switch. No lights nothing.

Replaced starter solenoid. Found out neutral switch was causing the main 30a fuse to blow whenever the bike went into neutral.

Examined the neutral switch. Covered the connector in electrical tape and it stopped blowing fuses. Heat shrink treatment will be next.

Checked ignition switch. Plastic inside looked clean and new. Key was not the same as the gas tank which leads me to believe it was also replaced.

Checked continuity and resistance of grounds on the bike and refit connections.

Put it back together. Pressing the starter turns the dash lights ON and neutral light OFF.

Jumping the solenoid with the starter pressed results in a healthy engine crank and a spark. The engine really wanted to light off and almost would… battery was probably low in that regard.

Ran the battery down trying to get it to light off. Plugs are fouled.

At this point I’m scratching my head. Should I start with the starter button or just throw out the entire harness altogether and start fresh

I think it’s reasonable to expect If the neutral switch shorted out it might’ve taken the starter wiring with it?

Back