• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1981 Honda CB750K - Wiring Newb help

JMC

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, be gentle. I've never had to mess much with wiring and this is my first time replacing a wiring harness.

So I bought a year/model specific main wiring harness loom and a new ignition switch from VintageCB750 and I'm confused about the connectors.

The first picture is the new wiring harness (and what I believe are the wires for the ignition switch) and the new ignition. Those connectors do not match. Do I just need to buy spade connectors?

The 2nd picture is the old wiring harness, which would easily connect to the new ignition switch if the harness hasn't been chopped up and "customized" by the previous owner.

Do I have the wrong harness or what should I do to solve this?

Thank you for any and all help!

V/R,
JM

Attachments

• 20231207_190432.jpg
    20231207_190432.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231207_190737.jpg
    20231207_190737.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 36
You could space connector them. To answer your question about the harness, the stock harness has a dedicated connector for that ignition switch.

You could space connector them. To answer your question about the harness, the stock harness has a dedicated connector for that ignition switch.
So like a sub harness to connect the two? Where can I buy that? I'm not seeing it online so far.
Thank you!

So like a sub harness to connect the two? Where can I buy that? I'm not seeing it online so far.
Thank you!
I could be wrong but that connector was part of the stock harness. The parts fische does name a subharness but I can't tell what it is. Search for "ignition connector" for your bike and see what comes up.

You appear to be holding the wires for turn signals (orange, blue, and ground wires). You shouldn't need to create a connector for this. It appears that the connector behind your hand might be what you plug into the ignition switch but I can't tell from the photo. What year/model? Do you have a colored wiring diagram like the one found in the Clymer Manual?

You appear to be holding the wires for turn signals (orange, blue, and ground wires). You shouldn't need to create a connector for this. It appears that the connector behind your hand might be what you plug into the ignition switch but I can't tell from the photo. What year/model? Do you have a colored wiring diagram like the one found in the Clymer Manual?
Yes, I've figured this out. The picture with the female spades was the old wiring harness. The previous owner had them rigged up to what was left of the ignition housing. The new harness plugs right into the new ignition, so problem solved.

Thanks, everybody!

Back