• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Warped Air Box

alexj

CB750 New member
Reaction score
New guy here.. I just replaced my air filter, but when I went to reassemble everything I discovered that it’s pretty much warped all the way around the housing where the gasket goes which makes it nearly impossible to seat it properly without a gap in the two long edges. Has anyone ever tried to heat them up and reshape? Thanks!

IMG_0995.jpeg

I used a heat gun on low to pop out the bottom on my K4 box it deformed from being tightened too tight. It worked pretty good.
I’m still struggling with this, but Ive clamped it together and left it in the sun and its getting closer each time I do it.

The other day it seemed like it was good enough to install on the bike so I installed the gasket and hoped it would stay in place as I inverted it and tried to get all four of the rubber velocity stacks (probably wrong name but you more what i’m talking about) to seat on the carbs. It didn’t. I guess Ill try using grease to hold in place…

I would be afraid of grease being pulled into the carb (depending on amount used, of course). Did the gasket seal things up?
I agree, heat gun would be best as it is much faster.

I’m still struggling with this, but Ive clamped it together and left it in the sun and its getting closer each time I do it.

The other day it seemed like it was good enough to install on the bike so I installed the gasket and hoped it would stay in place as I inverted it and tried to get all four of the rubber velocity stacks (probably wrong name but you more what i’m talking about) to seat on the carbs. It didn’t. I guess Ill try using grease to hold in place…
I have a rotomolded kayak that has some oil canning along the hull bottom. It's softer plastic than our air boxes and took absolutely every minute of forever to soften enough to flatten sorta barely back out.

Boiling water is another method I've used on kayaks. You could try submerging the section you want to soften in in a stock pot on simmer.

Sorry, I've been traveling for work so I'm just getting back to this...

I posted about this on a Facebook group and most people were saying to use grease, which I agree with you guys — I'd also be afraid of it getting sucked up into the carbs... but Im having a hard time believing soapy water will hold it up in place being that the gasket is a fairly weighty rubber piece. I'll try it out though and let you know what happens. Thanks

Soapy water is just to slide the velocity stacks onto the carbs. Grease would be fine to keep the box seal in place while assembling. Suction isn't strong enough to get grease from the box seal, thru the filter, and into the carbs. You could just use a thin wipe of silicone adhesive on the trouble spots to hold it in place.

Back