• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Starter motors have continuity?

rainier1822

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1982 cb 750C and the guy claimed the motor turned over. It wont, it just shorts. there is direct continuity from positive to negative. all of the rear contacts of the armature have contnuity to each other. I thought "okay ill just get a new one" I got a used one on ebay, same exact thing. I returned it and bought a diferent one. EXACCT SAME ISSUE am I missing something here? why wont any motor even think about turning?

How are you testing these starters? Are you bench testing them? If you are testing on the bike, have you tested the solenoid/relay?

If you are using jumper cables direct from a "Good" battery and they don't work, then I would say they are no good. You can't jump them with light wire, it has to be battery cable.

Last edited:
yea I know the thing is the armature seems to be shorted in the exact same way on all 3 motors, am I just unlucky?

yea I know the thing is the armature seems to be shorted
What do you mean by that? What makes you think the armature is shorted? How are you connecting the cables? Is there any shops in your area that rebuilds starters and alternators, like an auto electric shop? Maybe take it to a place like that and have them test it for you.

Your starter is 12 volt DC. It receives its negative connection from being bolted to the engine because the engine is connected to the negative (ground) side of the battery. The starter gets its positive (power) connection from that big wire attached to it that gets its positive connection from the battery through fuse, various switches and the starter solenoid that is also a switch. To test the starters you need a connection to a battery, a positive and a negative connection. Positive to the big wire on the starter and negative to the frame of the starter. I'd draw a picture but my wife gave my Crayola's away.

Your starter is 12 volt DC. It receives its negative connection from being bolted to the engine because the engine is connected to the negative (ground) side of the battery. The starter gets its positive (power) connection from that big wire attached to it that gets its positive connection from the battery through fuse, various switches and the starter solenoid that is also a switch. To test the starters you need a connection to a battery, a positive and a negative connection. Positive to the big wire on the starter and negative to the frame of the starter. I'd draw a picture but my wife gave my Crayola's away.
I understand how motors work. what Im saying is should the motor have contnuity from ground, Negative, to positive? I know that it shouldnt because it should have resistance but it dosent. is there something unique about these motors or have I just been unlucky with ebay

I understand how motors work. what Im saying is should the motor have contnuity from ground, Negative, to positive? I know that it shouldnt because it should have resistance but it dosent. is there something unique about these motors or have I just been unlucky with ebay
Yes it will, light bulbs too. To totally test a circuit motors and light bulbs should be removed or disconnected.

Yes it will, light bulbs too. To totally test a circuit motors and light bulbs should be removed or disconnected.
Ok so now when a battery is plugged into the motor... it shorts the battery and does nothing. Aswell if I use the relay in the circuit too it still does not work

Like I said before, have them tested if you don't know what you are doing. Buying old electrical parts are a bit of a crap shoot anyway.
it shorts the battery and does nothing.
What do you mean by "shorts the battery"? If the battery was shorted you would have smoking cables and a possible battery explosion. Did you have smoking cables?
I understand how motors work.
Are you sure about that?

Like I said before, have them tested if you don't know what you are doing. Buying old electrical parts are a bit of a crap shoot anyway.

What do you mean by "shorts the battery"? If the battery was shorted you would have smoking cables and a possible battery explosion. Did you have smoking cables?

Are you sure about tha
I do indeed have smoking cables and very hot batteries

Ok I don’t believe you have 3 bad starter motors. I believe user error.

Positive must be isolated from ground terminal you are doing a dead short.
Sounds like a user problem, please step back and rethink.

Ok I don’t believe you have 3 bad starter motors. I believe user error.

Positive must be isolated from ground terminal you are doing a dead short.
Sounds like a user problem, please step back and rethink.
Nope, the positive terminal is the bolt coming out of the side of the case, negative is the case itself. The brushes on the back of the armature are conecting the rear parts of the armature witch have contnuity causing a short

Back