• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Pod filters on my '76 CB750

wbradshaw6

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got my first CB750 about a month ago and my mechanic wants to take off the stock air box and put on pods. I told him that I have read horror stories about people switching to pods but most of them come from DOHC and mine is a SOHC. He told me that my carbs are already not jetted properly, and since he needs to rejet them he might as well switch to pods because it will give me a bump in performance. I like the look of pods and am leaning towards doing it. He assures me that rejetting and syncing the carbs will not be an issue. He has years of experience rebuilding 750s and converting them to bobbers, cafes, etc. Before I decide, I figure I would get some opinions on the matter. I don't ride in the rain, so that is not an issue with the pods. What do you guys think about pods over the stock air box? If you knew that it would be jetted right, would you make the switch as well? What are the pros and cons of both pods and the air box? Thank you guys for your input, I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

CB2.jpg

I like the look of the pods but because of all the horror stories I've decided to stay with stock air box.
Also, I never know when I might get stuck in an isolated thunderstorm here in south Mississippi.

I generally don't ride unless I know that it is not going to rain. I live in central NC and rain tends not to sneak up on us. I met with my mechanic today and he again reassured me that there will be no issue with the pods, he actually said that the performance is going to be 100% better. He might have been saying that since I have an 836cc big bore kit on my bike, and the increased airflow with the increased jet size in my carbs will feed the beefier engine better. Either way, I will let everyone know how things work out once I get my bike back, it will hopefully be done tomorrow but we will see.

I did the pod conversion. I had to get new main jets, slow jets, change clip position on my needles and synch my carbs. Took me about 7 plug chops to get it right (a bitch pulling my carbs 7 times) but now it runs great. I tried 3 different sizes of main jets and just went with the .42 size slow jets. Oh - and I had mine ultra sonic washed before any of this.

I have the PD42 carbs so they're a bit different, but if your mechanic is confident he can get yours dialed in, go for it. Just bare in mind that your scoot will be much more "wind sensitive". Meaning that cross winds will make it "bog down" while riding. Mine does. Maybe yours wont do that as much as mine since mine is more "open" around the pods..

Good luck man!

I like the look of the pods but because of all the horror stories I've decided to stay with stock air box.
Also, I never know when I might get stuck in an isolated thunderstorm here in south Mississippi.

Yesterday with a 20% chance of isolated showers, it rained on me all the way home.

Picked up my bike today, went with the pods. I don't know if it is the pods, or the rejetting, or a combination of the two but the bikes performance is like day and night. She starts right up from cold, no bogging down (which was an issue before), and I notice a significant difference in high RPMs. She ROARS down the streets. Drove around for a while and couldn't help but hold gears until 7000 RPMs all day. Next think I am going to do is replace the electronic ignition. I started a thread posting the 3 kits that I found, if anyone is interested take a look and chime in with your recommendations. I am also looking for a new clutch basket because there was a crack in the pressure plate that we had welded as a quick fix. I am thinking about switching over to a performance clutch since I have an 836 big bore kit and if I do I want to make sure everything is as solid as possible. What do you guys think about a performance clutch? Necessary?

Back