• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb Suggestions - 81 CB750 w/ Drag Pipes

BadSeedGarage

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Looking for some “expert” carburetor/exhaust advice for my 81 CB750. I know drag pipes going to kill some performance but I’m hoping to find a way for bike to run as well as possible with the pipes.
From my reading on this forum and talking to Cycle X, it sounds like running the stock carbs is going to be an uphill battle. If I’m set on running the drag pipes, what would be the best carb, air filter, and exhaust set up?
Ditch the stock carbs? (Mikuni RS34 or VM34)
Stock airbox or better carbs and pod filters?
Baffle or lollipop in the pipes?

As the bike sits now:
Refreshed motor (stock specs)
Cycle X drag pipes
Stock carbs
Stock airbox

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Attachments

• 4BB39846-073C-495D-8450-C78B36D5EDE5.jpeg
    4BB39846-073C-495D-8450-C78B36D5EDE5.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 56
Not sure if this transfers to the 4-cylinder motor, but I played with various baffles, lengths and end contours on a set of drag pipes on an old Harley I had. I found it ran best when I drilled a hole near the end of the pipe and just stuck a 3/16" bolt about an inch long through the hole with a nut on the inside. Provided just enough back pressure for the bike to run fine.
Oh, and the long pipes like you have in your picture ran better than the shorty ones that are so popular.

Back