Paint it or live with it? (Engine)

Qaxe

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
The ol' crankcase is lookin' sad. I can deal with a bit of grime from time to time, but
Engine is Sad 50.jpg
this isn't good. Obviously there are 2 options: 1.) Pull the engine and paint it, or 2.) Ride ugly. But I figured it was worth asking, to see if somebody had another idea.

My own opinion here; I'm not trying to convince others I'm an expert. Some of that flaking can be helped along and then try to polish what's under there. I'm in the same position but mine is far worse than yours. That's what I'm trying, anyway.
As for riding ugly, I like bikes that wear their scars. Keeping some of those on the bike is an in-your-face reminder the bike is 50+ years old. I consider it character.
What you REALLY need to consider is what you like. I've seen this question asked different ways on different forums about different things and it all boils down to your own like and dislike. I can't tell you how many "custom" paint jobs I've seen that I wouldn't pay a penny for. But I'm sure the riders loved them.
Do yourself a favor and forget about everybody else for a while. You are the one riding it, you are the one caring for it and fixing it, you are the one who looks at it the most often.

The Duplicolor engine enamel Cast Coat Aluminum paint is a very very close match to the original honda color. I use it on all my 750 cases and it seems to be very durable.

BrettP: That's some great advice there. The part about going your own way applies to more than bikes too.
Good point about allowing the bike to show some age. I'm a bit older than my bike, and I'm not going to a plastic surgeon to deal with my own blemishes.

Dirtdigger: Wait...they still make that? I just looked, and I'm pretty sure that's the same exact engine paint I was using in 2000-01. I just never got to see how well the paint aged. Glad to hear a positive vote for it.

I appreciate it guys. This is good food for thought. I'm on it. ...or I will be after I finish refreshing my carburetor.

you should have seen mine before i wafted some paint at it and used pieces or card to stop it going where i didn't want it, but those places were very few because of the state it was in.

Attachments

• IMG_20220408_131843.jpg
    IMG_20220408_131843.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 54
you should have seen mine before i wafted some paint at it and used pieces or card to stop it going where i didn't want it, but those places were very few because of the state it was in.
Painted with the motor in the bike?

The ol' crankcase is lookin' sad. I can deal with a bit of grime from time to time, but View attachment 14120this isn't good. Obviously there are 2 options: 1.) Pull the engine and paint it, or 2.) Ride ugly. But I figured it was worth asking, to see if somebody had another idea.
Hi whenever I paint an engine in the bike I use tin foil it's easy to scrunch over parts that you don't want painting and no masking tape and if it's fiddly use a paint brush to push the foil in . Good luck whatever you decide for to do .

I do believe that I will go the touch-up route.
Now that I've heard a vote of confidence about Duplicolor engine paint, I think that's the direction I will go.

Years ago I worked at a motorcycle body & paint shop. I was just the sander / prep guy, but I'm still pretty confident in that particular area. I don't have a spray booth or even a garage, so I'm going buy a roll of brown craft paper, and some good tape, and block off everything that I don't want hit with over-spray. The bike will look like a big ... lamb chop from the butcher shop.

I think that the lines and contours around this part of the engine will work to my advantage, in terms of color matching problems, etc. Like that nasty casting line that goes back from the starter motor area. I think that's actually going to work in my favor.

But this task will have to wait. This morning I had to replace the rubber gasket in my gascap, and at the moment, my carb parts are soaking in Berryman's. .... that stuff smells like oil and wet dog...

Ah, this is the life, ain't it?

Hi whenever I paint an engine in the bike I use tin foil it's easy to scrunch over parts that you don't want painting and no masking tape and if it's fiddly use a paint brush to push the foil in . Good luck whatever you decide for to do .
Wow, damn near 72 years old before I learned that trick today! Who says you can't teach an old dog?

brettp yes rattle can of spray paint and cardboard to stop it covering bits i didn't want it to go on. the bike had been stood in all weathers on the side stand for 12 years and the left exhaust pipe had nearly rotted through, the left fork leg was full of water, it was a mess so i made a pigs ear out of a bigger pigs ear. i knew the exhaust studs would snap so i wrapped up the rust :wtf: the front engine bolts were not going to play nice either :hellno: so after days on and off with heat and lube i left them alone.

Touchups can be brushed on too!!! I do frames this way, spray about a teaspoon of paint into a plastic container, brush on with an artist's brush, $3 - $4 at walmart. First remove loose paint, feather the edges, clean with alcohol.

Back