• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Looking at a CB750 that's been sitting for 20 years

mkj1928

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Mike.

I've never owned a CB750 but since the 90's I've always wanted one. Today I was on a service call and was offered to go look at a 1978 CB750 that has been sitting in storage for 20 years. He husband died and she would like to get rid of it.

Anything I should look for before committing? I can probably get it for $100 or less, my gut feeling tells me it's probably in decent shape but after sitting for 20 years it might not be worth getting. What are the odds the bike could get running without a total engine rebuild?

Thanks, Mike

Push down on the kickstarter. If the engine turns over then all you should need is a carb rebuild, fuel tank flush, oil change, battery, and a tune up to get it running. Rebuild the master cylinder and caliper, inspect brake pads front and rear, inspect the lights/fuses, inspect the chain and sprockets, and new tires/tubes/rim strips to make it safe to ride.

I got my current bike out of a snow bank. The engine was frozen. That was many years ago, never cracked the case.

Hey Mike,
I just did basically the same thing. I did the usual stuff like you are planning to do and it fired right up. They are definitely good after extended storage. It seems to have some carb issues, though since it only revs with SLOW throttle opening and gets very hot on the right cylinders.

Let me know if you get any tips and tricks on initial carb setup... assuming you bought it, which you should!

Back