• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Just purchased standard coils from CB750supply.com

Mac3687

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I just bought two standard coils, these ones to be precise:

17-6823.jpg
http://www.cb750supply.com/parts/480/17-6823.jpg

My bike is a '76 750K, completely stock, only 8K original miles, cleaned up inside and out from top to bottom. I was having issues that pointed to bad coils, and these seemed more practical than the OEM ones. My problem lies in how to properly hook them up, since their wire colors aren't the same as the OEM coils. Each new coil has a black/white wire and then a blue wire, and for both of them I connected the black/white wire to the original black/white wire coming from the wiring harness. It then looks like the other wire (blue) from the 1-4 cylinder coil should go to the blue 1-4 point wire, and the blue wire from cylinder 2-3 coil should go to the yellow 2-3 point wire. I would then assume that just like the OEM coils, if I'm sitting on the bike looking down, the left wire on coil 1-4 goes to spark plug 1, and the right wire goes to spark plug 4. On coil 2-3, the left wire would go to spark plug 2, and the right wire would go to spark plug 3. I just want to make sure I have it wired correct before I proceed, as ignition systems are by no means my forte...

I appreciate any input you guys may have...

-Mike

I am in the process of putting on the dnya s ignition system on my 78. From what I have read in the instructions I received you are correct about Blue wire for 1 and 4 and yellow wire for 2 and 3. However, the directions do not indicate which terminal on the coil is for which spark plug, which makes me think that it does not matter. But if it does matter, I would assume you are correct.

As long as the coil for cyl. 1 and 4 goes to cly 1 and 4 plug it doesn't matter which wire is 1 and which wire is 4 because they fire at the same time. Same with the other coil.

Thanks guys! If it wasn't 10pm and I didn't have neighbors so close, I'd go test it out right now. Looks like I'll have to wait until after work tomorrow. Or I could just call in sick...

haha I am right there with ya. I live in an apartment while in school and the lot got too dark for me to work on it anymore tonight.

Well I took her out tonight and it runs 10X better. I noticed some stumbling here and there and higher speeds and under hard acceleration, I'm thinking when I set my floats (26mm) that I made them too high and I'm starving it of fuel. I wanted to do the 'boil in lemon juice' trick to my carbs anyway, so I think I'll lower the floats tomorrow and see where we're at.

Back