• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch problem possibly??

Dumbquestionguy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 1981 cb750k it's been doing good lately runs really strong but when cruising at about 45-50 I'm doing like 5 to 6 thousand rpms it also won't idle down at lights stays at 3,000 any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228-105146.png
    Screenshot_20240228-105146.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
It sounds like two different problems. The high RPM at 45-50 sounds like you may have a slipping clutch. Is the clutch adjusted properly? If the clutch has been slipping for a while it might be too late for just an adjustment. How many miles on the bike. The high idle, mrtwowheel has it covered.

It sounds like two different problems. The high RPM at 45-50 sounds like you may have a slipping clutch. Is the clutch adjusted properly? If the clutch has been slipping for a while it might be too late for just an adjustment. How many miles on the bike. The high idle, mrtwowheel has it covered.
The bike has 2500 It also has awful Murray carbs but that's all I have so this is what I'm working with

When this happened to my ‘93 CB 750, the issue was failed spacers between the carbs and the head. All were causing vacuum leaks. Happened on spring startup.

I don't think the clutch was on adjustment and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it

Not enough slack in the throttle cables or a vacuum leak at the cylinder port or carb boots. Do a search on vacuum leaks, they can do serious engine damage.
I've been looking into it and since I have crap Murray carbs the a/f is probably off clutch needed adjustment and I haven't checked it but I beet i got a big air leak some where bike is running extremely lean

I've been looking into it and since I have crap Murray carbs the a/f is probably off clutch needed adjustment and I haven't checked it but I beet i got a big air leak some where bike is running extremely
Are they crap, or maybe you don't understand them?
Both I'm not smart enough to tune them and they dit come tuned even though he yelled at me not to touch them which I didn't so I'm worried now they could be my issue with the bike running to lean

Both I'm not smart enough to tune them and they dit come tuned even though he yelled at me not to touch them which I didn't so I'm worried now they could be my issue with the bike running to lean
Murray does offer help, I believe. But check for air leaks around the manifolds by spraying carb cleaner while it runs.
And when was the last valve job?

Murray does offer help, I believe. But check for air leaks around the manifolds by spraying carb cleaner while it runs.
And when was the last valve job?
I'm guessing around600 miles ago it has new gaskets I might pull it off to check valve clearance here what Mt plugs look like there running rich

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_144109432.jpg
    IMG_20240316_144109432.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 16
Back