• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Airbox to air pod?

rmstinson

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a 1979 cb750 10th Anniversary, in great condition, no leaks, no modifications and about 46,000 miles on it.

My question is that it still uses its original airbox. How tricky is it to swap it out for air pods? Does it require replacing the carbs as well?

Thanks very much! First post

Replacing the carbs? Kinda radical ain't it?

Yes, many say do that there. The problem being that the CV type carbs that come on them are problematic due to the fact the CV slides work based on that airbox and its' restriction, remove that and the entire carb metering is thrown off. It CAN work but often many give up, the absolute condition of the engine bearing on success there a WHOLE lot. You got a lot of miles on that engine and I'd say don't do it. Compression test before you do to indicate how hard it might be, looking for 150-170 psi but you may well not have that; most who say they 'run great' don't and then the problems begin.

Pods go on direct lift type carbs pretty easy, your right hand controls the throttle slide on those though. CVs you do not control what the slide does and these type are not rubber diaphragm ones and the worst kind (labyrinth type) to give trouble with pods. In short, the slides quit opening as fast as they should, and combined with slides not opening far enough already because engine compression is off due to old motor then becomes a deadly combination. The slides then open slow enough to mess the motor up bigtime. When one jets to correct for things like that, they are jetting for a slide in a certain place, but because the slide action has dropped off you have no idea of where that can be, it can be as bad as slide being jetted just for its' slow movement and then once it stabilizes then you need other jetting for it being stabilized. That kind of stuff can make you nuttier than Mr. Peanut.

As well, most toss that airbox without realizing it boosts low end torque a bit, you'll lose that small power hit with pods. The box will also help the slides open 100% at absolute top rpm, often a problem when pods are used, the slides don't open the last bit and then the engine can lose a thousand rpm up high or so at redline.

Buy the correct pods and simply dump the box, the pods bolt on in 15 minutes. Deceptively simple, with the accent on deceptive. Save that box, many go looking for them if you dump it, they already know.......................

FYI, Dynojet makes kits to do that but many had problems with those too, very hard to admit one has just spent all that money to not make bike any better than it was and often much worse.

Last edited:
AMC, thanks very much for the in-depth reply! I really appreciate it.

One of the reasons I snagged this bike was because my OTHER cb750 (a '78) has been in pieces in my cousin's garage for about 9 months. Def. don't want to do anything that will put the bike on hold for the rest of the season. Since it's just a cosmetic preference and not a performance issue, I'll probably leave well enough alone.

Thanks again!

After many years in parts sales you come to get to recognize how much modding is much more for psychological effect than real world. People who do something are so loathe to admit it didn't do as well as they thought, they'd rather give you impossibly incredible results so you think they are so smart. I actually specialized in being able to draw those admissions out of people, whereupon you realize how much stuff gets bought simply for that rather than any sound reasoning as to say usefulness.

Why I say so much on the car sites 'fix the driver first, then fixing the car (or other) becomes so much easier', of course people just deplore that. However, it doesn't change the reality of it one whit.

Back