• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'81 CB750K Running brake light wiring issue

JMC

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Riders,

I have researched all over the forums and still cannot find a solution that works on my end.

My running brake light does not work in position 1. I'll try to make it simple:

Running headlight - works
Instrument panel lights - work
Brake light in position 1 with brake depressed - works
Running brake light in position 1 - does NOT WORK
Brake light in position 2 - works

I have checked the main fuses, cleaned all connections with contact cleaner and light brass brush to remove gunk/corrosion.
I have put new bulbs in the brake light, just in case that was the issue.

Of note, I do not currently have a headlight assembly, just the bulb. The wiring harness was new from vintagecb750 (the PO's harness had been altered just about everywhere).

See picture for my wiring configuration under the seat. I have "deleted" the turn signals.

Hopefully, this is a simple fix and I'm just oblivious.

Attachments

• 20240307_102934~2.jpg
    20240307_102934~2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 20
Here's a better picture.
Ignore the color of wire in the middle. I created/soldered those using wires I had on hand.
The main wiring harness connections are connected to corresponding wires on the tail light harness.

Attachments

• 20240307_125343~2.jpg
    20240307_125343~2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 12
If I remember right the brake and running lights share the same ground. I would be looking for continuity along the wires to that running light.

Also don't assume just because something is new that it is good. New doesn't mean it works. Test the new bulbs.

There's a group of connectors stashed under the tail/brake light too, been the area of my bad connections a few times.
I was in there last night. Clearly 40 years of dirt, but I disconnected, cleaned, and reconnected everything.
Maybe it's a break somewhere along the brake line harness to the main harness.

Wires 40 years old turn brittle and break and ponch points. Not uncommon at all. That's why I suggested tracing continuity. I'm sure you'll find the culprit.

Wires 40 years old turn brittle and break and ponch points. Not uncommon at all. That's why I suggested tracing continuity. I'm sure you'll find the culprit.
I agree but as I stated before, if ONE wire strand is good and all other broken you will still get GOOD continuity! True continuity test is voltage drop.
Just a thought, can you run new test wire if it is straight wire and not spliced one!?

I agree but as I stated before, if ONE wire strand is good and all other broken you will still get GOOD continuity! True continuity test is voltage drop.
Just a thought, can you run new test wire if it is straight wire and not spliced one!?
That's a good idea, especially since I've deleted the turn signals anyway. I will try that.

I finally resolved this last week (and am kicking myself for it).

After all the connections I cleaned and locations I checked, it was the fuse box. I HAD checked the fuses, but the "brackets" that hold the fuses are a bit worn.
There's a sweet spot and the position of the fuse just needed to be adjusted up slightly. I couldn't believe it.

On the bright side, I learned a whole lot about wiring!

The best thing you could learn about wiring................Buy a good Ohm meter, read the little booklet, learn how to test and follow the voltage. Should make more sense to you now after this experience.

Back