'80 Super Sport Starter, Reduction Gear, Starting Clutch

CDEK

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a '80 Super Sport that has been sitting for four years. Rebuilt the carbs, new battery, new spark plugs, and tried to start it. At first I had some trouble getting it to turn over and thought I broke the starter because all i could hear was a beep/squeak coming from it, opened up the crank case to take a look at the gears, turns out I drained the battery (completely new to all of this.)

Now my issue happens when I try to start again, that reduction gear slips and I lose the mesh between all three gears before the motor is able to start. What am I missing/overlooking?

Starter clutch is slipping. Check for loose bolts, if good need to find a different starter clutch.

I recently purchased a '80 Super Sport that has been sitting for four years. Rebuilt the carbs, new battery, new spark plugs, and tried to start it. At first I had some trouble getting it to turn over and thought I broke the starter because all i could hear was a beep/squeak coming from it, opened up the crank case to take a look at the gears, turns out I drained the battery (completely new to all of this.)

Now my issue happens when I try to start again, that reduction gear slips and I lose the mesh between all three gears before the motor is able to start. What am I missing/overlooking?
The bushing in the center of the big starter cluth gear were out and screws it all up can be hardly mo play n the centermine was wobbling a bit bushing was spinning and worn paper thin would only crank over bout 1 out of3 trys

Back