• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'80 Super Sport Starter, Reduction Gear, Starting Clutch

CDEK

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a '80 Super Sport that has been sitting for four years. Rebuilt the carbs, new battery, new spark plugs, and tried to start it. At first I had some trouble getting it to turn over and thought I broke the starter because all i could hear was a beep/squeak coming from it, opened up the crank case to take a look at the gears, turns out I drained the battery (completely new to all of this.)

Now my issue happens when I try to start again, that reduction gear slips and I lose the mesh between all three gears before the motor is able to start. What am I missing/overlooking?

Starter clutch is slipping. Check for loose bolts, if good need to find a different starter clutch.

I recently purchased a '80 Super Sport that has been sitting for four years. Rebuilt the carbs, new battery, new spark plugs, and tried to start it. At first I had some trouble getting it to turn over and thought I broke the starter because all i could hear was a beep/squeak coming from it, opened up the crank case to take a look at the gears, turns out I drained the battery (completely new to all of this.)

Now my issue happens when I try to start again, that reduction gear slips and I lose the mesh between all three gears before the motor is able to start. What am I missing/overlooking?
The bushing in the center of the big starter cluth gear were out and screws it all up can be hardly mo play n the centermine was wobbling a bit bushing was spinning and worn paper thin would only crank over bout 1 out of3 trys

Back