‘76 CB750K stuck in gear

BigDan

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all!
Firstly, I want to say I’ve just rebuilt this engine using mostly factory parts while replacing common wear items with OEM NOS parts. Upon my break in ride, shifting lever became useless. Stuck in gear, but the return spring still functioning.
I know the cause: Honda part number 24641-300-000, or “Spring, Gearshift Lever” - that small spring that sits in the “elbow” of the two rods that operate the gearshift drum assembly. In videos I’ve seen of rebuilds, this spring appears to be a thicker gauge, shorter in length, and doesn’t have as much inward or outward bend. This spring has found its way out of position 3 times, luckily in higher gears so that I could make it home. Any suggestions on retaining that spring or an upgrade that may fix this problem? I hate that gnawing feeling of possibly being stranded, but on an old bike I suppose that isn’t too unusual.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpeg
    IMG_3707.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 7
I have never seen or had a problem with that spring ever even in my drag bikes. It is a very soft spring from the factory, its only job is to keep that shift lever in contact with the shift drum. There is no outward force or large amounts of movement with that part that it should be able to pop out. There has to be another issue. Post some more pictures of it assembled and I can look and see if I catch anything. You could measure the length of the spring and I can tell you if its correct or not.

Back