• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Won't start, cleaned carbs, need to prime bowls

jmag

CB750 New member
Reaction score
1999 CB750 here.
Bike has been sitting for 6 months, I stopped riding because the starter motor wouldn't fire, I just heard a click coming from the starter solenoid so I replaced that and still, just a click, so I had to back burner my bike due to school. Got back into it, I took off the cover to the starter and dumped out a bunch of carbon powder (I'm assuming from brush wear) and now the starter works but engine wouldn't turn over, obviously because the carbs were dirty from the months of sitting with gas in the bowls. So I cleaned the carbs; now I need to figure out how to prime the bowls so that the jets have gas to feed the engine. I watched a video that said to use a battery charger to activate the fuel pump in order to avoid killing the battery trying to fill the bowls via repeated start attempts. If anyone knows the location of the fuel pump and how to access it or any other methods of priming the carb bowls, any help would be appreciated.

There are like 50 different CB750s and the vast majority have no pump at all. Can't say on that one. Follow the fuel line from the carbs and see where it goes.

Also, your english there..........

'...now the starter works but engine wouldn't turn over...'

Generally they are the exact same thing or the starter drive is broken. The engine 'turns over' when the starter is spinning. Perhaps you mean the engine is not lighting off or not firing to start up, a much more likely thing. If you actually mean the starter works but engine is NOT moving at all in response then check the battery quality first, you may well have a dead battery. You seem to by the 'click' thing. A low battery can let the starter spin slow enough to not engage the starter clutch rollers and then engine would not spin but starter would be working, barely. Low dead battery will kill electronic ignition spark to plugs as well, it won't ever start. And any fuel pump if present likely will not run either. You can use a car battery either in or out of car but DO NOT have it running, the car charging system will fry bike electrical components.

Back