• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Stuck float and needle

owenm1

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I just recently started working on a 1976 CB750F and in the process of cleaning the carbs I found a large amount of difficulty in removing the float bowl. After about an hours worth of work I got all four float bowls off and found myself looking at some of the dirtiest carbs I've worked on so far. My issue is with both the floats and needles which are all gummed up and seized. I know that I'll have to replace the floats but I'm not sure if I should just rip them out or try to let them sit in carb cleaner until they become loose enough to either pull out or be able to use a punch to beat them out. At this point I'm up to any suggestions because nothing I've looked up has been nearly as bad as what I'm trying to work with.

Brown gummed up will dissolve over time in acetone but if the white stuff then water based corrosion and no solvents will really loosen that.

Those float posts are indeed very delicate.

Look close at your cleaner, if enviro-friendly then it can be partially water based and soaking in it can actually make things worse if left long enough.

With that much mess I'd be pulling jets and emulsion tubes to see if any main wells there are corroded enough to fault the carb to junk status.

They are a good set of carbs it's just that the previous owner emptied the tank but not the floats so over the years it solidified causing it to be gummed up. I've seen no corrosion so I think they are fine. So far I've gotten one float loose by just letting them sit is some old gas for an hour. If the others don't move I'll go to the acetone method.

Back