Ready to scrap these carbs,

Ricebiker

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I can't get these carbs to stop leaking. Before you write about cleaning, and adjusting, and measuring, I've done 'em all. Twice. Wet test, aftermarket floats with bendable tabs, and different float needles(stoppers), (original floats were not adjustable and they were causing leakage then), cleaning with brillo and gun cleaners, pipe cleaners, acetone, carb spray, compressed air, etc. I also have a bog after 3/4 throttle. I thought it might have been clutch letting loose but it happens with the bike stationary as well.

So really, I think I'm looking to get rid of these carbs and just move on. After all, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity, yeah?

I'd like to get riser carbs instead of cv's. Are there any that y'all know of that'll fit easily? I'm not looking for $1000 set of carbs (CR's) I'm just looking for a set that will work on this bike and have decent power. If you've had experience in this area, I'd like to hear about it. i.e., a set of carbs from any other type of bike that'll fit right into the existing intake boots of mine.

80 CB750 F
Airbox, 4-1

I'm pretty sure it's the stoppers catching on the walls of the seat. It's an intermittent thing. Didn't do it for a long time, then had a ride the other day and didn't shut off the petcock afterwards.

Any red rust residue showing up in the bowls at all? Evidence of ethanol in your local fuel and most filters out there won't stop the rust from getting in bowls, even a slight amount sticks the floats open. A real serious problem with steel tanks now.

Gun cleaner brushes and pipe cleaners can easily damage the float needle seats. I never touch the seats whatsoever, always found a cure elsewhere.

You ALWAYS shut the fuel petcock off. These DOHC along with CBX were absolutely awful about fuel running into engine when bike on sidestand, why Honda designed the vacuum fuel valve. It was a big problem back then.

Nothing simply 'bolts on' unless you get up into the megabucks...............All other bikes use different carb center-to-center spacing. The carb boots having groove that fits nothing else is an issue too.

You can go the the CB1100F.net website and look around, a lot there swap but the cheaper alternatives are generally still CV type carbs. Free, simply register.

http://www.cb1100f.net/

Back