• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Question about headlight.

Cavman11

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1973 cb750k. I went on a trip and it rained for two days straight. This caused a problem with handle bar switches. So I bought new ones for both sides. Put them on and every thing works but the head light. Since my bike is old enough so the headlight does not come on automatically I was wondering if any one else has run into this problem. Also how you got out of this problem.I would like to keep it the way it came but not sure how to do this.

The headlight connects to the starter button switches (I think that is true on your age bike as it is with mine (1981)). When you push the start button it turns off the headlight to lessen the draw on the battery.

The headlight connects to the starter button switches (I think that is true on your age bike as it is with mine (1981)). When you push the start button it turns off the headlight to lessen the draw on the battery.
this is not true on this bike.

I have a 1973 cb750k. I went on a trip and it rained for two days straight. This caused a problem with handle bar switches. So I bought new ones for both sides. Put them on and every thing works but the head light. Since my bike is old enough so the headlight does not come on automatically I was wondering if any one else has run into this problem. Also how you got out of this problem.I would like to keep it the way it came but not sure how to do this.
I would recheck the connections in the bucket, sometimes they can look connected but actually are not. Have you verified the actual head light is good??

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but it's hard to believe that rain killed your switches, unless you live in Asia where the rain is so heavy that we had to go swimming just to get break from the water. Seriously though, I'm from Seattle, and aside from passive-agression we have a lot of rain. I rode my 74' and my 77' year round, for years, and would be sitting on my bike downtown in rainy traffic jams all winter. The water never hurt my switches or my bike (just my delicate Seattle feelings).

Also... it's the job of the fuse to break before your switches short out. That's weird that the switches just died. Were the switches wonky before? Maybe the rain just finished them off.

I don't know the condition of your bike, so I'll just go off what I would do. I've had a lot of crappy CB750Ks and some good ones, but they were always old.... It sounds like Dirtdigger said, maybe a wire or wires is/are exposed or loose. You know? I've even found that a spider had laid eggs up in one of my switches before. So I would first check my fuses, and the contacts at the fuse box. Make sure nothing is melted, etc. As you know, contacts also need to be clean and free of corrosion. Then I'd open up that headlight bucket, check my headlight contacts to be sure they were clean (and dry) and the headlight itself (It's great if you have a spare to check with) Then I'd go through every wire in that headlight bucket to make sure the contacts weren't corroded and were properly connected.

If none of that helped, I would go up into the switches and make sure they were clean and dry inside. (And spider free) Before I went and threw down money and time on changing switches, I'd get me a new headlight to be sure. Lots cheaper than switches, and one day you'll need a new headlight anyway. Another thing to consider is: Were the switches closed properly? In other words, no big gap for rain to get in there?

Finally, I suggest buying yourself a volt-meter if you don't have one, and get used to using it. I have been guilty of swapping out parts when I wasn't sure what the actual problem was, but it's too expensive. Volt meters are less expensive.

I feel ya. I hope it's all healed up right quick!

Back