Extreme Electrical Wiring Newb about to Replace Wiring Harnesses

tiretread

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Howdy. Owner of a 75 CB750K and after several years of a flat bar decided to go back to a more upswept OEM handlebar. Upon conducting the swap, I noticed the rats nest of wires in the headlight as well as many mis-matched twisted together wires from one of the various POs. So, I purchased a main wiring harness, and the bar switch assemblys for both the left and right side.

Background on my electrical wiring acumen: I once set a 1958 Ural Dnepr afire (not really "afire" as the whole bike is just pretty much steel) after I did some very simple wiring corrections.

So why I posted: Is there any video or tutorial on how to replace these harnesses'? I have laid them all out on the garage floor and I notice there are wires that don't necessarily match anything else on the floor. I'm sure there are simple reasons for that.

I will be taking lots of pictures and tagging wire connections, etc., but if there is some kind of tutorial it sure would give me a bolt of confidence before I kick this project off. Thanks!

I attempted that a while ago, I couldn't find any manufacturer that would make a legit harness with matching wires. So I returned them and got a motogadget m-unit, I ended having to rewire the whole thing, but it was easier to me than having to rewire the bike with new colors etc.

I attempted that a while ago, I couldn't find any manufacturer that would make a legit harness with matching wires. So I returned them and got a motogadget m-unit, I ended having to rewire the whole thing, but it was easier to me than having to rewire the bike with new colors etc.
Thanks for the response. I think I'll just gut it out since I have all of these wiring harnesses. Maybe on my next project I'll go with the m-unit.

I know Taylor from classic Octane in Austin tx uses harnesses like that, I think most people make the harnesses work by following the diagrams, and making use of your voltmeter etc.

Back