• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New exhaust new problems

Xhart

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I recently had recently had to replace my exhaust on my 78 the problem comes when I got the new exhaust its off of a 79 limited which I knew there would be some mounting problems. I attached everything and made sure it was snug and when I started there is an insane leak coming from the collars where headers and engine meet I am ordering replacements gaskets, should I order new 79 collars as well or could there be something else? You can see where is leaking in the image

Attachments

• PXL_20230923_223907508.jpg
    PXL_20230923_223907508.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 46
Not sure how you installed it but did you leave everything loose and then tighten down after everything was set up? I would also check to make sure you don't have two washers at the exhaust port (they can be left behind when missed). Other than that, stick with changing the washers and then see what happens. It isn't likely you need collars.

Last edited:
Not sure how you installed it but did you leave everything loose and then tighten down after everything was set up? I would also check to make sure you don't have two washers at the exhaust port (they can be left behind when missed). Other than that, stick with changing the washers and then see what happens. It isn't likely you need collars.
Thank you very much this is my first big project so every bit of help means leaps and bounds

Show us pictures of the collars and their orientation when you get it apart, If the inner collars are flipped it won't clamp down properly.
What is the visual difference between inside and outside collars? Didn't know I'd have to sort that out.

Edit...Just took a look at Partzilla and see that My DOHC uses the same exact parts to attach all four pipes. :):):):)

Last edited:
What is the visual difference between inside and outside collars? Didn't know I'd have to sort that out.

Edit...Just took a look at Partzilla and see that My DOHC uses the same exact parts to attach all four pipes. :):):):)

The clamping collars each consist of three components:
>The "inner" half moon collars are the two pieces that fit "inside" the "outer" flanged collar. If the "inner" collars are flipped then the "outer" collar will not bear down on them properly.

Back