Just bought my first motorcycle

PharmD750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I finally joined the forum now that I have finally found and bought a bike I liked. Today I drove about 350 miles round trip to purchase a 78 CB 750K. I got it for a pretty good deal and it came with a lot of spare parts including an original set of gauges in near perfect condition. Not sure what my plans are for it but I really like the café bikes. The first thing I need to do is make sure everything is working and no leaks. I noticed before I bought it that it has a small gas leak coming from the number 2 carb. I haven't had time to look into it too much but the guy I bought it from said the carbs were just gone through by a motorcycle shop. I am thinking it has something to do with the floats, however I am pretty new to the motorcycle tech, though not a total noob to auto mechanics.

I just bought a bike and noticed my #2 carb is leaking gas too! The PO said he just took the carbs apart and cleaned them. I'll let you know what I find if I get into it soon

20130908_190623.jpg

Thought I would add a picture. I got it running tonight fairly well. I noticed that the exhaust wasn't completely tight to the engine so I tightened that up. It got a little too dark to see if gas was still leaking from the carb but I plan to check it tomorrow afternoon. I took it for a small 3 mile or so ride and noticed that when I am in 2nd and 3rd gear with almost wide open throttle that it loses power and lugs a bit and suddenly comes back in and revs up with a decent amount of power. I have no idea when the last time the gas was changed or even the last time it was out on the road because the license registration is over 4 years old. Any ideas of what it could be? I am getting it titled and registered this week Thursday or Friday. I will then take it to the gas station and put fresh fuel in. I was also told that the carbs were rebuilt in 2012.

Back