• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Just bought my first motorcycle

PharmD750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I finally joined the forum now that I have finally found and bought a bike I liked. Today I drove about 350 miles round trip to purchase a 78 CB 750K. I got it for a pretty good deal and it came with a lot of spare parts including an original set of gauges in near perfect condition. Not sure what my plans are for it but I really like the café bikes. The first thing I need to do is make sure everything is working and no leaks. I noticed before I bought it that it has a small gas leak coming from the number 2 carb. I haven't had time to look into it too much but the guy I bought it from said the carbs were just gone through by a motorcycle shop. I am thinking it has something to do with the floats, however I am pretty new to the motorcycle tech, though not a total noob to auto mechanics.

I just bought a bike and noticed my #2 carb is leaking gas too! The PO said he just took the carbs apart and cleaned them. I'll let you know what I find if I get into it soon

20130908_190623.jpg

Thought I would add a picture. I got it running tonight fairly well. I noticed that the exhaust wasn't completely tight to the engine so I tightened that up. It got a little too dark to see if gas was still leaking from the carb but I plan to check it tomorrow afternoon. I took it for a small 3 mile or so ride and noticed that when I am in 2nd and 3rd gear with almost wide open throttle that it loses power and lugs a bit and suddenly comes back in and revs up with a decent amount of power. I have no idea when the last time the gas was changed or even the last time it was out on the road because the license registration is over 4 years old. Any ideas of what it could be? I am getting it titled and registered this week Thursday or Friday. I will then take it to the gas station and put fresh fuel in. I was also told that the carbs were rebuilt in 2012.

Back