• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Insurance app. declined: Bike is 750hp.

Qaxe

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Dudes, I'm here to tell you about my ultra powerful motorcycle: The Honda CB750! 750 stands for "Horsepower" after all.

Begin rant...now.
I've been trying for days to get my bike insured with a new company. "Hagerty". The insurance agent didn't get back to me, so I called yesterday. She said she was waiting to hear back from the provider. Okay. No word today, so I called this afternoon. Haven't heard from Hagerty, sorry. Meanwhile, the weekend is here, and I know that her office closes at 3:30pm. I want to get on the road and see if my tune-up has worked. So at 3pm I called Hagerty myself.

They let me know that my application had been declined due to modifications, and that they had told my agent this morning. He even noted the time: 9:30am. So I asked, "What modifications?" He read the file, "It says here that your bike has 750hp...how many cc's is it?" I let him know that it was a stock 750cc engine, with stock carbs. Originally 67hp, but I'm not sure I get that now. Seems it was a matter of a misplaced number. He sent me a new insurance card, and the call was done in 5min.

So I called the agent. "Sorry, haven't heard from Hagerty." I said not to worry about it, I took care of it myself.
Not sure why I even have to go through an agency, when I take care of it myself. Not only that, with one keystroke my bike's horsepower has plummeted from 750hp down to "maybe" 67hp.
End rant.

D.D. well, that's true, but they were already confused enough.
BrettP. If I recall, we went through an agency to find home insurance, and it just sort of went on from there. I'll have to rethink this. Thanks for the extra brain power again.

My insurance agent that does my home and auto insurance went with progressive for my motorcycle insurance. I get it cheaper this way because i get multipolicy discount going through my agent for house and vehicle and motorcycle insurance.

Aha. My house is Traveler's... Cars are Progressive... bike is "Hagerty". The lady said if I went with Prog. for the bike, it would be double what Hagerty charged, which is $170 a year. I'm going to have to dig into this. Thanks guys for chiming in.

This forum is the one-stop shopping center for knowledge in general.

Aha. My house is Traveler's... Cars are Progressive... bike is "Hagerty". The lady said if I went with Prog. for the bike, it would be double what Hagerty charged, which is $170 a year. I'm going to have to dig into this. Thanks guys for chiming in.

This forum is the one-stop shopping center for knowledge in general.
She probably said that because she mistyped the bike's info (CC v HP) and progressive spit out a high number

I have a local agent that I use for all of my insurance.. business, home, auto, motorcycle, ATV, boat, umbrella policy, etc. They use progressive when it makes sense to do so, and don't charge any more than going through progressive directly. It seems like I get the best rates by switching every few years, and they take care of everything.

Back