• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How to measure handlebars?

Dave

CB750 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My bike had custom bars when I got it. They cause me to lean forward a bit to reach them which is just not comfortable. They also have a crossbar for some inexplicable reason and it blocks the gauges. My view in the mirrors is blocked also, by my arms, unless I tuck them in and tilt my head to look around them.

I know the 3 dimensions to look at but not how to interpret them all into the real world.

On some bikes the grips are level to the ground, some are angled down causing your wrists to turn (thumbs rising up) a bit.

Can someone please explain how "exactly" to measure the rise and pullback of my current bars and suggest what changes to to make when buying new bars that put the grips closer to my body.

I don't know if there is an industry standard way to measure bars. I would loosen the bar camp and tilt the bars so the portion where the grips go are level to the ground. Then measure the rise (from the top of the bars where they clamp to the top of the part the grip goes on). To measure pull back, use two boards or straight edges, one on the front of the bars and one on the back (bar end to bar end). That will get you close anyway. If the bars are removed from the bike, you could measure pull back easily on a table. Rotate the bars back 90 degrees and touch the ends to the table and measure the height to the bend.

If your bars have a crossbar on them, they might be dirtbike bars.

I just found this article: http://blog.jpcycles.com/2010/04/how-to-measure-for-the-right-motorcycle-handlebars/

It references a different way to measure bars (table against wall). I think that method would be better if they told you the measurement from the table to the ends of the bars, or gave you the angle of the bars where the grips go. For my method, you would need the angle of the rise since the grips are level.

After reading the guide you linked, I now know the bars I currently have are called T Bars.

tbar.jpg

I personally feel anything that prioritizes fashion over function on a bike is stupid and these bars definitely qualify. (in someones book, I think they are ugly too)

I guess what I really need to know is how does cb750supply.com measure bars?

Those bars definately dont jive with some bike imo.They do however look good on some imo such as rat rod harleys. Didnt mean to hijack this thread , sorry.

tv_sons_of_anarchy01.jpg

heres a little diagram that helped me.
Handlebar.Measuring.jpg

You guys have illustrated my problem quite well with 2 different methods of measuring the pullback. :(

Does anyone have some stock bars they could measure to post the dimensions and the method they used to get them?

PS Stock for a 1974 style CB750

Back