• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How do I remove the seat and gas tank?

SlipperyPete

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Howdy - I just yesterday acquired a '79 cb750 limited. I can't figure out how to remove (or lift) the seat to get at the gas tank so I can remove it? I looked through the shop manual, but couldn't find the info in there. I'm thinking I should buy a Clymer manual which should have the info, but I don't want to wait for the book to arrive to find out what to do. Any help is appreciated!

On the right side there's a keyhole to unlock the seat. You may need to put a little downward pressure on the seat to turn the key.

After the seat has been opened you can see the 2 hing pins. They have tiny spring clips in one end. Move the seat around to relieve the pressure on a pin and turn it so you can pull the spring clip out with your fingers or pliers if needed.

Once the seat is up you can see the single bolt holding the rear of the gas tank. You must first remove the side covers as they are connected to the tank. Take the bolt out and carefully lift up the back of the tank and disconnect the fuel hose. Once the hose has been disconnected, lift it a little higher and pull it towards the back of the bike.

You can go here to see all the schematics - http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750l-limited-1979-z-usa_model1020/partslist/

PS Once the seat is opened, you should see a helmet hook on either side of the frame too. The idea is you adjust the strap just right, hang it on the hook and close the seat.

If your really lucky you might find an original tool kit stashed in the tiny tray next to the battery.

Back