• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Some rust in gas tank

Jamsr

CB750 Member
Reaction score
:confused:

Jamsr

CB750 New member​

Messages1Reaction score0Points1LocationMaryland
2 minutes ago
1979 750L
I scoped the gas tank yesterday and there is a rust build up on the bottom corners where the metal is pinched together. Looks like it maybe could flake. Any ideas on what to do? I was thinking maybe There is a coating of something I could put in the tank that would not be affected by gas?? The is an in-line filter before the carbs…..I have a video but don’t know how to post it

I did 2 tanks with in the last month. There are a lot of videos out there on you tube about cleaning tanks. If you watch 10 videos you will see 10 different ways to do it. The first tank I did wasnt really that bad but it had a little bit of rust so I did it. I tried using Muratic acid first, but would not recommend it. It will peel off your clear coat if not careful. I then used the POR 15 kit (3 items ). Seemed to come out pretty good, its hard to tell when you cant see the whole inside of the tank. The second tank I did was really bad. I filled the tank up with vinegar and let it sit for a week. The rust that came out of the tank was incredible! Next I used the POR system again and continued to get a lot of rust out of the tank. After I was satisfied I got as much rust out as I could I coated the tank. Seemed to turn out good but only time will tell. The way I look at it is if you have rust in your tank, try to catch it early. Cleaning and coating a tank is very time consuming with no guarantees.

Just make sure all the rust and all the contaminants are out before you use any sort of a coating or will trap the rust in the Japanese are very famous for using pot metal on these tanks, pinholes can be a nightmare if not found early

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_185647.jpg
    IMG_20221005_185647.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20221005_191208.jpg
    IMG_20221005_191208.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 92
If rust is just in the corners, I would get some short lengths of small link chains put vinegar in the tank with the chains and slosh it around. Then clean tank. Use it and make sure there is always good gas in it.

tank rust is a sign of long storage with no gas in the tank.

If you decide to do a liner material be very careful on process many liners fail do to improper install.

Back