• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Gear selector switch, testing

stevewaclo

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

The neutral lamp in my ‘93 CB 750 has started staying on in 1st, neutral and 2nd gear.

I pulled the side cover to inspect the switch and after removing it and grounding the body, I found that as I rotate the center mechanism, I get a result that seems somewhat consistent with what I’m seeing when I activate the shift lever: a solid light in neutral, but a flickering light in 1st and 2nd. Seems to me there should be a sharp disconnect in continuity out of the neutral position, so a neutral light off to either side doesn’t seem right. Maybe I’m answering my own question, but can someone confirm proper switch operation?

Also, anyone ever taken one of these switches apart? I can see a C clip, but I’m reluctant to proceed. Here’s the switch:

IMG_2266.png

Thanks in advance.

My two cents: If you're afraid of breaking it because you don't want to pay for a new one, then don't take it apart. If you are willing to pay for a new one, you can break it and you've lost nothing. But if you're able to fix it, you win.

My two cents: If you're afraid of breaking it because you don't want to pay for a new one, then don't take it apart. If you are willing to pay for a new one, you can break it and you've lost nothing. But if you're able to fix it, you win.
In other words, if it ain't broke...fix it 'til it is. :D

Back