• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Drilled my brake rotors

pidaster

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to drill my brake rotor this past weekend since I needed to get rid of the squeak. I put the rotor on my lathe and gave it some sanding and deglazing, then on to the drill press. Wasn't as hard as what I read from many people. I used one regular metal/wood drill bit at 250RPM on my drill press with plenty of drilling fluid. I put a very slight chamfer on all the holes. I am well pleased with the results.
rotor1_zps65c5d651.jpg

rotor2_zps8d87b4b3.jpg

You did a very good job and that pattern looks good. I like it.

Looks nice! I've always read to not chamfer the holes so they can clean the pads better. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference though. I guess we'll find out! :)

Looks nice! I've always read to not chamfer the holes so they can clean the pads better. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference though. I guess we'll find out! :)
I've read it both ways. It is the slightest chamfer to basically clean it up a bit. Don't want the holes scraping off the brake pad either.

Looks great!! Want to do mine???
No, but thanks for the offer.

From a mechanics of material stand-point, the chamfer is preferred to minimize the mechanical stresses on the the hole during expansion and contraction.
The chamfer will add surface area to the stressor.

So are the holes typically drilled for looks, cooling, or keeping the pads clean? My FZ1 has drilled rotors from the factory and they aren't chamfered. :shrug:

The purpose for the holes on modern rotors is to vent the gases and dust that are produced when the friction between the rotor and the pads occur. Without the holes gases can actually build up and cause the pad to "float" over the rotor decreasing braking efficiency. It does help considerably with unsprung suspension weight also but the main reason is to give dust and gases a place to escape. They kind of look purdy to. lol

Back