• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Craigslist find, First motorcycle and no spark

codytuttle96

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I want to buy my first motorcycle and found a 1980 CB750k on craigslist. The guy says it was leaking oil and lacking power so he had someone put all new gaskets from base of the motor up, new rings, head was rehoned, and timed correctly. He says it has good compression, turns over but no spark. New coils and plugs and all 4 carbs were rebuilt and the brakes work and are tight. He says he's checked all the fuses and has a new battery. His asking price is $600 is an hour and a half away from me. My question is, what else would cause a no spark situation and is the bike worth $600 since he's pretty firm on price?
Screenshot_2015-04-09-15-00-16.jpg

I see that's it's been a few days since you asked for help, and you don't have a reply yet... are you still considering the bike, or did you maybe even get it by now? If so, I'll do what I can to try and help out. Could be that just by telling you something even wrong, someone else will chime in and straighten us out.

Thanks for replying! He hasn't sold the bike and I haven't gotten yet. I'm planning on looking at it next weekend but if you guys say it's not worth messing with or it's not worth $600 I have another bike in mind. It's a 1984 Honda shadow 750.

Although I've had a 1980 CB750, I never rode it. I went through a stage when I bought 4 of the early DOHC 750's with the intent of fixing and selling them, but ended up making some money without doing anything, so I unloaded them. I did have an '80 CB900C, and I think there's plenty of similarity with the 750, so I think I might have enough experience to at least get the conversation going.

My first thought is that if the bike actually sparked before having the work done to it, the problem is likely with the rework... problems popping up after something is changed is usually related to what was changed. However, the rebuild process touches a lot of areas. If the coils were new and part of the rebuild, even they could be suspect, or maybe just not wired correctly.

So, the things I would consider that in your case might cause a non-sparking issue include a wire not connected, wire(s) not connected correctly, spark plug wires from the coils not connected correctly, bad spark plugs, bad CDI units, pulsars, or any combination of these. I do believe that it could easily be something simple, yet maybe hard to find, again assuming that things were electrically fine before the rebuild.

As to be being worth $600... I would think not. First time bike buyer after a non-rimming bike sounds pretty risky to me. However, you may be excellent with wrenches and just asking for suggestions, all the while already having an idea where to start. Or maybe you have a particular reason for want this particular bike. My point... it's your call.

For example, I mentioned that I had a CB900C. I bought it as a non-runner for $250. I got it running for no cost, but I'm sorry to tell you that I really don't remember what I had to do. It took quite a bit of time to get things sorted out, but mostly because I didn't know a thing about the DOHC bikes. I remember rebuilding the carbs and re-cleaning them a total of maybe 6 times before I got it running well. I had to re-shim the valves to get them set correctly... I don't care at all for the way valves are adjusted. In a nutshell, I don't care for the DOHC bikes because of carbs and valves design.

Don't take my opinion for anything more than it's worth... it's mine only, and I'm sure there are others who have just the opposite opinion.

My first suggestion is that if you're a first time bike buyer, unless you really do want something to work on and learn what makes it tick, get one that runs. Be sure there are no strange noises, it shifts well, stops well, and doesn't appear to have more things needed than you want to tackle. I'd tell you that there are LOTS of nice bikes available for a decent price, and you should be able to come up with something nice to suit your need.

Well, I've worked pretty extensively on my truck and other vehicles so I'm not afraid to tackle some problems...for the right price. I'm mainly looking for some advice on this particular bike, whether I should buy it and/or where to start with the problem.

I'm afraid that you just won't know what you're getting until you have it, but that the gamble that might get you a good deal. I've been on a few bike forums and have read many times that just because someone says they've rebuilt a bike, that doesn't make it so. You also may have no idea about the person who might have done the work, and if they knew what they were doing. Just words of caution.

Another example... I bought a non-running '75 CB750 from a guy who said it had carb issues, even though he had just rebuilt them. I did clean the carbs again since he steered me that direction, however, the problem was 2 wires to the coils switched... changed those two wires and I had a runner. Sometimes things work out just fine.

I'm afraid that you just won't know what you're getting until you have it, but that the gamble that might get you a good deal. I've been on a few bike forums and have read many times that just because someone says they've rebuilt a bike, that doesn't make it so. You also may have no idea about the person who might have done the work, and if they knew what they were doing. Just words of caution.

Another example... I bought a non-running '75 CB750 from a guy who said it had carb issues, even though he had just rebuilt them. I did clean the carbs again since he steered me that direction, however, the problem was 2 wires to the coils switched... changed those two wires and I had a runner. Sometimes things work out just fine.

I did the same thing on a 1982 honda cx500c. I brought the price down from 800 to 150 bucks because it was a "non runner" with a lot of problems. I took it back to my house and noticed the main fuse was out. Changed it out for $1.15. Drained the gas tank, cleaned the carbs and she ran like the day it came out of the factory. One of the best $151.15 I have ever spent. The other problems were extremely minor (small surface rust and a turn signal was out).

Could be easy, could be hard. I hate electrical problems. The beauty of it is everything is testable. I'd say go for the buy, but $600 would be my ceiling. What do I know though. I bought a cb750 with a leak, bad charging system and running off 2 cyli ders for $1500. Took some time and money, but she runs like a champ....still leaks oil though lol

I just bought a '74 CB750 for an even grand and it runs perfectly. Chances are the bike you are looking at could become a runner for the difference of $400 or perhaps much less. The question is do you have the gumption, patience and knowledge to investigate and fix the problem? I assume you have searched for other bike options within driving distance of you and have not found a better deal, correct? Perhaps for a slightly longer drive and not much more money you could find one running and save yourself some headaches . . . what would Robert Pirsig do? Probably buy it and enjoy the process of fixing it! I would set your limit at $500, and he refused to budge on price, move on. Only my 2 cents. Good luck.

Follow the wiring backwards from the plugs to the plug wires to the coil to the wire to the points, etc. etc. until you find electricity.

More than likely it is the ignition ignitor modules as they go bad often but with as much work as has been done to it you never know what was messed with. Could have a loose connection, broken connection, pinched wire or maybe even a totally wrong connection somewhere...you just never know.

Just picked up a non running 79 myself, started off with a weak spark and now theres nothing.

I looked at the plugs wires and theyre corroded in the coils pretty bad, and theres no power at the coil

Back