• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

cb750 sohc `72 engine ticking noise

Stenberg72

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi. I`ve been replacing all of the top end gaskets, the cylinders have been honed and top-sandered. Been checking the pistons and replaced new pistonrings witch correct dimention. The sound could easily be defined as problems with rockerarms or valveleak, but no.. I have lap all of the valves. I still struggle with this clicking sound that also follows rpm. I thought it could be an exhaustleak, but when I run the engine without the pipes the sound is still presence. I have also done a correct valve adjustment and the nuts doesn`t loosen up when engine starts to run. I just can`t figure out whats wrong?!?
Any similar experience or other thoughts?

Grateful for any comments.
All the best !
Torgeir Stenberg

Last edited:
Sounds like loose valve but you said you already checked the clearances. Does the noise go away when you pull clutch

Pull the valve covers and inspect the underside of each cap. If there are small dents or nicks then one of your valves is hitting it. I read that sometimes wear on the valve seat can occur, causing you to get a false clearing reading and giving the valve way too much clearance.

im liking the cam chain,,, when the intake and exhaust valves are set to to spec ( intake .002in exhaust .003)
pg47 clymers manual these engines sound like a Singer sewing machine . check your cam sprocket teeth and if all else fails it can only the cam chain OR a bad tooth on the crankshaft sprocket …. youve done everything else
BUT pls post the culprit we are all learning from each other good luck

Hi, and Thanx for sharing thoughts. Appreciate it big time! It could also be small fractures in rockerarms. Hard to say. Waiting for a new set…, eliminating causes..This summerseason has been really bad, with much rain and coldness, but next year I have to get her back on the road!!
Yeah, we all read and learn from others, so
I will post the culprit when the problem is solved! Cheers!

Back