• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

burning oil while engine braking, smell oil when parked

RattyRatbikes

CB750 Member
Reaction score
1974 cb750 bobbed with a stock, near 20k mile engine. never been opened, not modified yet.

Im noticing a slight haze when I let off and when I blip the throttle at lights, theres a small puff of oil out of the exhaust. Also looks like oil "steaming" from the vent on the head immediately after getting off the freeway for a long period.

From working on LS and SBC that sounds like valve seals and possibly rings. Anyone know any NorCal shops or machinists that could rebuild the top end and maybe re-ring, bearing, and seal the case and how much would i be looking at for that work?

Are there any good upgrades i should do if it comes apart? looking for a fast accelerating cruiser for freeway and backroad use, not a race bike.

Im going on a road trip to look for a new house soon and want to be able to bring the old gal with me to cruise around on my own, without the dodge 3500 haha

I would suggest you send to THE shop for sohc, Cyclex

It could be either rings or valve guide/seals with the miles and unknown history. An air cooled engine is hard on rings and guides so either are possible. Not knowing the history it would be my suggestion to rebuild the complete engine. More than likely the bottom end is good if it had regular oil changes. If you did want to try just rebuilding the head I would suggest using APE in Rosemond CA as they are closer than cyclex and you may get it quicker but Cycle x is normally quick too. If you are going to modify the engine though I would just have Cycle X do all the work as they are the best with the sohc motor and have all the parts and expertise.

Back