• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

69-78 k0-k8 dual front discs, with leading calipers?????

Kannen91

CB750 Member
Reaction score
well, i rode my cb750 k8 for the first time today, loved it! however braking performance is shit! i came from riding a zxr750h1 so i dont expect it to be that good, but this is garbage. I want to do a dual front disc conversion. Both fork legs have the same brackets and mounting holes. So my question is this, what is needed/needs to be modified to do this conversion like seen in this pic? (yes i want leading front calipers, i think it looks better and a bit more old school, but does this effect the braking performance or structure of the forks? if it does what is needed to have trailing front calipers???)

dual fronts.jpg

very interested in doing the conversion, i know i need the following.
another caliper from a k0-k8 cb750
another brake rotor from a k4-k8 cb750
another brake caliper bracket, with adjustment spring and pivot point.
longer disc brake to hub bolts
brake lines along with 1 into 2 splitter
new master cylinder *unsure if this is actually needed, anyone know??)

If anyone has done this please let me know if i am missing anything!

Don't reinvent the wheel... so to speak!

I've attached a brilliant pdf file from http://www.sohc4.net/cb750k-articles/, courtesy of Ben Hiles.
GL1000 forks, wheel and callipers fit, I've been led to believe.... otherwise you're in the realms of changing complete front ends to do what you want... if you have the cash, NO PROBLEM (providing you have the mechanical know-how).

If all you want to do is ride your bike, but improve it's safety, my advice is to follow a path that has been walked before. If you love to tinker.... Then tinker and let us know your results! :)

Attachments

• dualdiskconversion-cb750.pdf
    287.1 KB · Views: 526
The OEM norm is to change from 9/16" master to 5/8" with dual discs, it can seem to work not doing so but you can run out of brake lever when the pads wear down. You have a better feel with 5/8", the lever gets hard further out and feels like you have more safety margin there. You actually get a bit more pressure on discs with the 9/16" though.

I can agree with you, mind we raced these bikes back in the 70's there where no other master brake cylinders in those days.
We changed brake pads very often for that reason the bike I have now has been restored more for the restoration
and does not come out much. I will look for a bigger one. Thank you for your remarks

Back