new on CB750

hogyman711

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Signed up a couple of days ago, just been doing some reading. I'm looking at 1980 750F which seems to have been neglected and (or) repaired with used parts, the guy said it wont start because the carbs need to be cleaned, fork seals look like they leak, the exhaust looks a little beat up and rusty, handlebars are rusty, back fender is loose and blinker mount is broken, anything that locks with a key (like the ignition) looks like they've been jimmied with a screwdriver and a bunch of other minor problems. The guy wants $1000 and I'm having reservation about this deal, seems a little shady but I could be wrong. anyone have any thoughts???

$500 at the most if you ask me. These dohc bikes aren't worth much money, there are plenty of them out there to find one in better shape. The simply need to clean the carbs bit never is that easy on these bikes because these carbs are junk from the factory.

Thanks for the feedback DD. Kind of what I was thinking on the carbs, had a 73 750 with pods could never get it to run right. Tried to call the seller twice to take a second and closer look but never got a reply, probably a good thing...lol. I came across a 79F for the same price looks like it might be in better shape judging by the pics, gonna check it out sometime this week

79 is still the same motor and same crappy carbs with all of the same issues. If you really want this generation of bike then I highly suggest going with aftermarket carbs even though they are expensive. They will never run right...Honda never had them to run perfect. Some people claim to have gotten them tuned but I guarantee they just run ok or good not perfect.

Sounds like you're not to thrilled with these older models, would you suggest something newer then. I was thinking of getting a cheap ride, throwing some money at it get it running right and then put some café parts on it. Going to try and do most of the work myself.

Actually, older would probably be better... as in '69-78. However, since you had a '73, you may have different thoughts. The '73 with pods should have been fine with appropriate jetting.

As we all know, it's sometimes just a matter of "to each his own"... but here's my 2 cents.

From what I've been reading maybe I didn't go big enough on the jets on that 73, it also had drag pipes to compensate for. Thanks for the info though.

On the contrary, I like the older pre 79 bikes much more then the dohc erra.

Back